Diamond goby for a year success?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thus far had my diamond goby for a year it has not really grown but has at the very least maintained weight since I got it. It eats well on pellets and mysis. Is it a success? I have heard of them suddenly starving off in tanks is this true? Am I out of the woods?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are never out of the woods with any fish so many things can happen. That the fish is eating prepared fish food is good. They sift the sand in nature so the fish has learned to eat food that is not its natural prey. Hope your luck continues.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are never out of the woods with any fish so many things can happen. That the fish is eating prepared fish food is good. They sift the sand in nature so the fish has learned to eat food that is not its natural prey. Hope your luck continues.
This is a fish that has many stories of ok for some time then they starve so I hope I can feed him enough to avoid this.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other thoughts on the matter? At what point could I be confident with such a high metabolism fish?

Nick82187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen any that I own grow significantly...not sure what amount of food they naturally eat in a day tho, that could be whats hindering growth...but if its maintaining weight i wouldnt be too concerned.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen any that I own grow significantly...not sure what amount of food they naturally eat in a day tho, that could be whats hindering growth...but if its maintaining weight i wouldnt be too concerned.
I have only seen one really fat one ever and have heard a few stories of they suddenly wasting away after a year or two after they clear out a ton of microfauna especially in tanks under 400g. Same with the other valenciennia gobies. Really hoping to get a good long term success with one to see if the stories are true.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for well over a year and I feel pretty confident that my sand has minimal microfauna if any. He easily takes to Hikari Marine A pellets and has not lost any weight and is very active in keeping my sand turned over.
Still...there could be other factors that could play into the diamond's health, but I am thinking if it is eating well then all should be good.

I feed heavy in my tank for coral fertilizer, BTW. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on mine it is still doing well. Actually appears to have added a bit of size. Apparently keeping 16 fish in a 60 gallon provides enough feeding to ensure that this goby gets fed well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back