Diamond Goby: "Healthy" to dead in 12 hours

Starkrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Diamond goby to the tank on 11-Jul-2020. She was totally rearranging the sand bed to her liking, living with the pistol shrimp, sifting sand, and seemed to be doing great. Last night she was "panting" heavily and this morning she was belly up and deader than a doornail. Parameters yesterday were: pH 7.8, ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 40. No injuries, lesions, or other signs of disease. I moved some frags yesterday and glued them in with 2 part epoxy (always used paleo glue in the past), changed the filter floss, and removed the hitchhiker sponge. Last night I fed pellet food for the fish (as usual) and broadcast feeding of reef roids. No real change to my normal routine. Any ideas?

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your PH is way to low that will cause death in a fish from 12-24 hours. The shrimp is more tolerant I suggest you add a PH booster a good choice would be Instant Ocean PH booster. Then after that check the levels again if your PH is at least 8.0 you should be good to go.

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your PH is way to low that will cause death in a fish from 12-24 hours. The shrimp is more tolerant I suggest you add a PH booster a good choice would be Instant Ocean PH booster. Then after that check the levels again if your PH is at least 8.0 you should be good to go.
If that’s true, my entire tank would have been dead months ago. 7.8 PH will not kill your fish.

OP
OP
Starkrost

Starkrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

OP
OP
Starkrost

Starkrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the salinity level of the LFS's tank the goby came in from?
I don't know. It didn't get the acclimation I would have liked. It jumped from the bag within 20 minutes of starting to acclimate so got dumped unceremoniously into the tank. But it seemed to be doing just fine until last night.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some stores and shippers keep their salinity rather low. And the effects on the fish can take a few hours to 2-3 days later with sudden death as the organs shut down.
Sorry for your loss.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
Osmotic shock is a silent killer. Matching your QT/tank to the incoming fish's existing salinity is a good move. For example, Live Aquaria often ships fish at around 1.015. So matching to that salinity and then slowly moving it up only 0.001 every day or two, until reaching 1.025/6 is very gentle on the fish's internal organs and nervous system.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back