Diamond Goby in a 35G

  • Thread starter Thread starter ndippy77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ndippy77

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2018
Messages
7
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im kinda new to the hobby and have a 35 gallon tank that has been running for over 6 months now and everything seems to be doing really well. I just wanted to get some opinions on putting a diamond goby in a 35 gallon tank. I heard that they need to be fed a lot and didnt know if owning one in a smaller tank would be annoying due to how much that i have heard they need to be fed. Im not sure if it makes any difference but I have a deep sand bed.
 
Thanks ndippy77 I was wondering the same thing!
 
If you are willing to target feed it you should be fine. Otherwise I’d be a little concerned.
 
I got one in my 40g for about a year and I only feed once a day missy shrimp and some pellets and is happy.
 
If you can find one at a store that eats prepared foods, then it would be worth a try, otherwise it will starve in a small tank.

They are also infamous carpet surfers.
 
My diamond goby isn't shy about coming up into the water column and attacking frozen mysis, etc... with the other fish. He prefers getting what comes down into the lower third of the tank during feeding time, though.
 
My diamond goby isn't shy about coming up into the water column and attacking frozen mysis, etc... with the other fish. He prefers getting what comes down into the lower third of the tank during feeding time, though.
Thanks! Go Bucks!
 
I kept a diamond goby in a 29g bio cube for many years. Make sure you have a lid they are known jumpers. Dustin
 
Im kinda new to the hobby and have a 35 gallon tank that has been running for over 6 months now and everything seems to be doing really well. I just wanted to get some opinions on putting a diamond goby in a 35 gallon tank. I heard that they need to be fed a lot and didnt know if owning one in a smaller tank would be annoying due to how much that i have heard they need to be fed. Im not sure if it makes any difference but I have a deep sand bed.

They should do okay. I kept one for about a year in a 36 gallon bowfront with a deep sand bed and then I upgraded to my 90 gallon. The downside is that they can create absolute sand storms in your tank that regularly cloud the water and can try to jump out of the tank. After a couple of mysterious deaths with them in my 90 gallon, I have switched to fighting conch snails and have been much happier. They keep the sand bed clean without the mess. I do miss some of the fun personality of the DWG (ie picking up and moving hermit crabs where it wants them), but as mentioned I am not missing the sand mess, attempted jumping (ended up in my overflow once) or trying to figure out why they weren't surviving. For that size tank 1-2 of them should work. Here is a vid of fighting conches if you are curious:

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new