Diamond Goby Picking at Rock?

justy_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

My Diamond Watchman Goby seems to be sort of picking at my reef rock. Looks like he’s looking for food, but I’m not sure. He’s acting normal, sifting all my sand constantly and has eaten stray pellets that fall to the bottom, but he just started doing the rock thing a day or so ago. I guess I’m wondering if this behavior is normal or if he’s maybe just hungry and I need to spot feed him more? (Pic below). Thanks!
4BBE6223-86D0-4AE9-B474-2673ABBE87D5.jpeg

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanding sifting gobies usually die of starvation. There's simply not enough sand fauna in the typical aquarium to sustain one.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do eat an amazingly large amount of food for a relatively small fish. I feed mine a mix of commercial frozen foods, pellets, and a homebrew concotion that clumps together and which the other fish won't touch.

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking at rocks is a sign of hunger. I spot feed mine pe mysis. And drop sinking pellets using a turkey baster directly on him.

OP
OP
justy_

justy_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking at rocks is a sign of hunger. I spot feed mine pe mysis. And drop sinking pellets using a turkey baster directly on him.
Ok, that’s what I kind of figured but wanted to check. He’s a little less skittish now, so I’m hoping the mysis/pellets/spot feeding will help. Thanks!

MattyMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that’s what I kind of figured but wanted to check. He’s a little less skittish now, so I’m hoping the mysis/pellets/spot feeding will help. Thanks!
My diamond seems to eat anything he can. I alternate between frozen brine shrimp cubes and frozen carnivore cubes of worms, mysis, and brine. And for whatever reason, he _loves_ algae wafers, just small enough to go in his mouth. I like seeing his little tummy full. He's not fat or anything like that; he's very active. But most that I see in other tanks seem like a tadpole, all head and a skinny body.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back