"Diamond in the rough" My 120 Upgrade

Strgazr27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with this hobby is you get exposed to so many nice setups you realize what you think makes you happy doesn't. After seeing tanks like Jeremy's 120, Tom's 210, Marks 180 etc I knew I wanted a bigger tank. I had always LOVED the Oceanic 120's and set about trying to find one. I got a PM a couple of days ago asking if I was interested in an AGA 120 w dual overflows, stand and canopy. It looked a little rough in the pictures but I went for it. Seller said if I wasn't happy I didn't have to take it. I have to be honest when the garage went up I was like "Oh boy I don't know" It looked ROUGH. But I also had that warm fuzzy feeling and decided to go for it...I'm glad I did. The glass was actually in immaculate shape. The seams were pretty rough and coralline covered everything. I had my work cut out for me. The following pictures are about 30 hours of labor and $75 in supplies. And YES....My arm's look like Popeye's right now lol.....

Tools Used:

3" Scraper
Straight Edge scraper
5 GALLONS of vinegar
6 rolls of shop towels
10 pack of pads for my multi sander
2 vacuum cleaner bags
50 pack of razor blades
10 pack of blades for the 3" scraper
Can of acetone
roll of masking tape
1 tube of Momentive RTV103 Black

Here is the tank 10 minutes after I got it in the house. And yes, my wife thought I was CRAZY.....

photo (41).JPG

ACE LOVES me....

photo (42).JPG

We couldn't figure out why the tank was so freakin' heavy. Than I found out. About 30 lbs of sand covering 1" Starboard RTV'd to the bottom. Had to get that sand out first to prevent scratching the glass and making a mud pie.

photo (45).JPG

I gave the front glass a quick cleaning and it looked in MINT shape w no scratches !:thrash:

photo (43).JPG

Still going......Took the black paint off the back.

photo (46).JPG

Now to tackle the overflow boxes. A job I was dreading from the start...

photo (49).JPG

photo (50).JPG

But before that a new background. Seeing Jeremy's tank and Tom's 210 with the blue background made me realize I REALLY liked the look so....

photo (52).JPG

photo (53).JPG

With that done I covered the boxes in paper towels and soaked them in straight vinegar overnight. I would keep wetting them down hoping it would soften the crap underneath.....

photo (51).JPG

But I was wrong. It was time for power tools. Plugged in my sander and had at it with 80 grit followed up with 120 grit. Took me about 4 hours. A wipe down with acetone and they now look like this. Pretty happy with how they came out!

photo (54).JPG

After spending about 3 hours removing the old, ragged missing corner seams and taping it all off it was time to reseal. I picked up a tube of Momentive RTV103 at Grainger in Bohemia for $11. This stuff is SWEET but take my advice. When your applying this stuff inside a tank WEAR A RESPIRATOR. 24 hours later and my head still hurts and my throat is killing me. :arg:

photo (55).JPG

Pulled the tape off after I was done and set it upright on the stand. I am THRILLED with how it came out. Yes this is the same tank Lol. The time spent masking everything was well worth it. Nice seams w no mess. I also resealed the starboard to the bottom and filled in any gaps.

photo (57).JPG

photo (56).JPG

With the tank done and the silicone curing it's time to attack the stand. It's in need of some TLC. The canopy needs even more love but it's solid and looks nice on the tank. I plan on a satin black finish. Replacing all the hinges with Euro style hinges and adding some more decorative trim. Here it is before I started the tank.

photo (44).JPG

THANKS for taking the time to look. I will be updating this thread as I go...

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great job...amazing what a little elbow grease can produce. good luck on your project.

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work, I know you wanna get it wet bad! It will feel good once you have everything up to par!

OP
OP
S

Strgazr27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some of my lighting equipment today

Thanks to Jeremy I got a SICK deal on these pendants. I will be running 2 of these 250w setups along with a 48" Reefbrite strip. Should allow me to grow those stick like corals all you guys are so fond of Lol. The image of it lit up was shot with the dimmable ballast on it's LOWEST setting :)

aeffd466-dab2-aae2.jpg

aeffd466-db6f-9180.jpg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back