Diamond in the rough

Happygo663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - so I’ve had my Goby about a month now and he used to be very energetic, sifting through the sand daily grasping at food - Within the last four days I fear he is under the weather. Breathing heavily, appears to have a clear film on the roof of his mouth (this could be normal - it just seems more apparent with heavy breathing), sticks to his cave - disinterested in treats, etc. any thoughts? I’m about 71/2 months into my tank build. 2 clowns one goby - see video for reference

Attachments

• IMG_5381.MOV
    56.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing is a bit fast, but the fish isn't closing its mouth. That might be impairing its breathing, thus the increased rate. The difference is important because we want to try and rule out a gill disease that could affect your clowns. Long term captive fish sometimes develop goiter that grows in their throats, causing this. Your fish is unlikely to have that. If the problem came on suddenly and didn't gradually worsen over time, I might be included to think perhaps it has a bit of gravel stuck there. Not sure what the other options would be.

You might want to take a look at the link below my name here, it offers hints to people as to how best to give us the information we need to diagnose things - look over that list and see if anything seems important , and let us know.

Thanks,

jay

OP
OP
Happygo663

Happygo663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing is a bit fast, but the fish isn't closing its mouth. That might be impairing its breathing, thus the increased rate. The difference is important because we want to try and rule out a gill disease that could affect your clowns. Long term captive fish sometimes develop goiter that grows in their throats, causing this. Your fish is unlikely to have that. If the problem came on suddenly and didn't gradually worsen over time, I might be included to think perhaps it has a bit of gravel stuck there. Not sure what the other options would be.

You might want to take a look at the link below my name here, it offers hints to people as to how best to give us the information we need to diagnose things - look over that list and see if anything seems important , and let us know.

Thanks,

jay
Hi Jay - thank you for taking a look at my video. I’m a new tank owner and besides the clowns have lost a tuxedo urchin, Royal gramma, and now as in today the Goby. The gramma was a matter of proper diet - the urchin seemed to have fallen off a rock or some sudden slumber. This goby lasted the longest and is now gone. I’m a little bummed to say the least - He did not have an appetite whatsoever for 2 days and spend the entire day in the cave this past Sunday - assumed he was going down - At this rate if I lose the clowns I don’t know what I will do! Could this be something that will spread? Or do I just have a poor taste in fish hardiness

OP
OP
Happygo663

Happygo663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay - thank you for taking a look at my video. I’m a new tank owner and besides the clowns have lost a tuxedo urchin, Royal gramma, and now as in today the Goby. The gramma was a matter of proper diet - the urchin seemed to have fallen off a rock or some sudden slumber. This goby lasted the longest and is now gone. I’m a little bummed to say the least - He did not have an appetite whatsoever for 2 days and spend the entire day in the cave this past Sunday - assumed he was going down - At this rate if I lose the clowns I don’t know what I will do! Could this be something that will spread? Or do I just have a poor taste in fish hardiness
P.s is it normal for entrails to be spilled
image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, entrails coming out of the fish isn't normal, even after death. Could it be mucus and feces that you are seeing? Don't add anything new to your tank until you are sure the clownfish are stable. If they develop ANY symptoms, check in with us right away and we'll try to come up with a treatment. Quarantining new fish is always the best way to go in order to avoid major issues.

Jay

OP
OP
Happygo663

Happygo663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I saw. This looked like his swim bladder or intestine whatever part is expelled in that photo.. (sorry sensitive content) Maybe one of the crabs decided to intervene? Id like a steady variety in the tank (2-4 fish in it for the long haul) and then to concentrate on corals so these setbacks hit hard, back to square one.
The clowns seem fine. I plan to do a water change tonight and visit my local store tonight for a water test...I have a kit of my own too. Will send updates. Thanks for your response.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back