Diamond or Tiger watchman Goby?

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone.
I was hoping for some input from the community. I am looking to get either a diamond goby or a Tiger Watchman Goby.
What are the pros and cons of both?
I have a 60 gal and feed twice a day pellets in the morning and mysis in the evening. Lower flow LPS/zoanthid tank
Tank has been up and running for 6 months.
Which one would be best at cleaning the sand bed but also be more active for viewing the tank?
Are there any considerations/suggestions I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance!

OP
OP
xWascallyWabbit

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone.
I was hoping for some input from the community. I am looking to get either a diamond goby or a Tiger Watchman Goby.
What are the pros and cons of both?
I have a 60 gal and feed twice a day pellets in the morning and mysis in the evening. Lower flow LPS/zoanthid tank
Tank has been up and running for 6 months.
Which one would be best at cleaning the sand bed but also be more active for viewing the tank?
Are there any considerations/suggestions I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance!
My build thread is here: Thread 'Waterbox Marine X 90.3' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/waterbox-marine-x-90-3.877940/

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby is my go to for keeping the sand clean. I have sand iny 45 frag system and my 30g remote fuge. It is always brite white. In my fuge it has dug a hole under the rock right in front and is very visable and active.
They also dont swim around with a mouth full of sand and drop it everywhere like some other gobys.
20220225_200325.jpg

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both have the propensity to jump out of your tank !!!
Ha! Yea you need a cover. I was removing some chaeto last night and saw the cats acting funny. It was flopping around on the carpet. So back in it went, lol.
I never saw it jump. I do have a cover for that reason.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tight fitting lid is a must. I have them on both of my tanks. Didn't matter though I've lost 3 to carpet surfing. Gave up and got sand tiger conchs and Nasarius snails to clean and stir my sand beds.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who might not be aware, neither a diamond or a tiger is a watchman goby, meaning they don't pair with shrimp. They are sand sifters in the genus Valenciennea. Sand sifting goby or sleeper is probably more appropriate, but those are a little ambiguous too.

They don't always eat prepared foods. Some do. As mentioned, infamous jumpers.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who might not be aware, neither a diamond or a tiger is a watchman goby, meaning they don't pair with shrimp. They are sand sifters in the genus Valenciennea. Sand sifting goby or sleeper is probably more appropriate, but those are a little ambiguous too.

They don't always eat prepared foods. Some do. As mentioned, infamous jumpers.
+1 to this, IMHO, none of the valenciennea species should be kept in captivity due to their eating habits. Most starve and die in captivity or end up jumping out, go for a Koumansetta or Amblygobius species if you MUST have a true sand sifting species.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the same thing. Which of those two. I would be putting in my 210g, but maybe I will look at the sleepers instead.
I have lids, so not an issue, but in the past I have had horrible luck with diamonds. Had two and neither lasted long.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need an established sand bed with plenty of flora, including a good pod population. That being said mine eats like a pig, mysis, brine, reef frenzy and flake. I can’t believe he/she is not fat and lethargic! That being said diamonds need an established sand bed of at least 6-12 months, the longer the better.

Attachments

• 50C353B1-2344-48E0-9AD8-70AC55C9798A.jpeg
    50C353B1-2344-48E0-9AD8-70AC55C9798A.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 44
Back