Diamond Sifter Goby Growing Eggs?

Wandering Albatross

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2024
Messages
884
Reaction score
428
Location
Whidbey Island, WA
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, quick question.

These guys took about 4 months, but by all accounts seem to have finally bonded. Recently, the smaller of the 2, presumed female, has a noticeably rounded abdomen, where the other more established male does not. They eat and sift the same way, same amount. She doesn’t seem bothered by it.

My gut says she’s growing eggs. Any chance she’s just harmlessly chunky with no eggs while her mate is somehow perfectly normal in the stomach? (Yes his gills are a little inflamed, he’s currently being treated with prazipro)

IMG_2063.jpeg IMG_2065.jpeg IMG_2059.jpeg
 
IMO - if she isn't showing any other problematic symptoms, she is indeed gravid. The swelling is posterior to the stomach, so I don't think that it is food.

I made a list of all causes for abominable swelling in fish:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/causes-of-abdominal-swelling-in-fishes.1098720/
Thanks Jay, I was hoping it was eggs. My gut said eggs based on behaviors leading up to now, and appearance, but I wanted to get a second opinion. I was worried they just wouldn't pair at all for a while there.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new