Diamond Watchman Gobies - A Breeding Adventure

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife & I have been on a bit of a Diamond Watchman Goby (Valenciennea puellaris) breeding journey, and I think we're making some progress. I thought I'd share what we've been up to with the hive mind. We've got a batch that hatched out this morning. I'll update this thread with photos, videos, and other notes as we go in the hopes that it might help to make this cool reef-safe fish commercially viable for captive breeding and take pressure off of wild caught populations.

This is really my wife's project. I'm her assistant. Her Igor.

It started sometime last year. We were at the LFS getting water jugs refilled and I was checking out the saltwater displays while we waited. I saw a pair of Diamond Watchman Gobies who were hanging close together, not sparring. And I snatched them up on the spot.

DSC01199.jpg

We keep them in a Red Sea Reefer 350 with an array of other fish and corals. They get along pretty well with everything, but I'm sure the small hermit crabs don't appreciate the involuntary relocations they are often subjected to by this pair.

They spawned pretty regularly in our tank but we never really got to see eggs or young. We had a six line wrasse in the tank, and we suspect that the wrasse was going into the spawning chamber and eating the eggs or the young before we could see anything. The wrasse disappeared one day without explanation or evidence anywhere. We suspect, but have no evidence, that the male goby snuffed the wrasse.

The parents spawn with great regularity. About every 2-3 weeks they do heavy terraforming of the substrate, and then disappear underneath of the hardscape. They close themselves in for a day or so. Then the female leaves the spawning chamber and closes the male in. 2-3 days after that, the male will open the spawning chamber but continue to protect the eggs.

It's at this point, where the male begins to open the spawning chamber, that we remove the egg mass. This timing seems to be best for high hatch rates. The method is to attach a length of airline to a syringe and probe around while drawing water into the syringe... just keep repeating this until the pink mass of eggs gets pulled into the airline.

I'll make a point of getting photos of the egg mass.

The eggs are relocated to a partially filled 10 gallon nursery tank with an airstone. All sides are covered and kept dark for another day. Then when the cover is removed and a light turned on above, this seems to trigger mass hatching of the eggs. A pipette is used to agitate the eggs and help the fry to break free, mimicking the gentle mouthing of the eggs that would normally be performed by the male.

So far so good. Up to this point, at the time of this posting, is reliable. It's raising the spawn that is the puzzle we're working.

Here is a video of the fry a few hours after hatching.

Early hypothesis was that the newly hatched fry might freshly hatched baby brine shrimp. This was quickly dispelled as the brine shrimp, even at time of hatching, are far too large.

Next we moved to S-strain rotifers, which are more appropriately sized. The young still died off 3-5 days after hatching, mostly with nothing in their digestive tracts in spite of dense offerings of rotifers available to them. Mostly nothing, I should say. We did see some along the way who had ingested green phytoplankton that had been introduced to sustain the rotifers.

Quite an array of packaged fry foods were tried, and all ignored by the fry.

So that brings us to today. We've got two strains of phytoplankton in with the newly hatched young now: isochrysis and tetraselmis.

D28761A6-56DF-4F7F-A8B2-6D8BE68882AF_1_105_c.jpeg

We're also culturing S and L strain rotifers, can hatch out baby brine shrimp at any time, and are also culturing copepods (Parvocalanus crassirostris).

Young will be observed under the microscope daily so we can try to get an idea of what the young are eating, if anything. We've got the capability to get high resolution microscopy and video microscopy so I'll try to make a point to share documentation in this thread as we go.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerraMagnus

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2. Under magnification, sampled young from this clutch appear to be digesting tetraselmis. By this point in the previous clutch, without offering phytoplankton, we started seeing die-offs by now. The young are looking remarkably better this time around. So far.

OP
OP
TerraMagnus

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video was taken this afternoon. Now, a little after 8PM, they are dying off en mass again. Rotifers were introduced when the first ones started dropping but once again they don't seem to prefer rotifers as a food source, and it's unclear why they are dying. Maybe phytoplankton is being ingested accidentally but they prefer something else? More research to be done.

OP
OP
TerraMagnus

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods will be key. Try Apocyclops panamensis, Parvocalanus crassirostris, or a mix of both. Feed your live phyto to the copepods and the copepods to the larvae. Cool project, keep us updated and good luck!
Thanks. We have some pods culturing but nowhere near enough yet to harvest in time for this clutch. We should be ready for the next clutch. Sadly, we are at 100% mortality on this current clutch. We should have another opportunity in 2-4 weeks.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new eggs yet but we're trying to beef up the live food cultures... stepping away from rotifers since it's pretty clear the fry don't prefer them. Ramping up on copepods and the phyto strains that they prefer.
Keep some rotifers on hand, they may be feed as the larvae grows.

Carolyn's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is VERY neat! May I ask where you purchased your microscope/camera? I am trying to do the same with my shrimps. I am currently only using my phone to document and it's not up to par.

I wish you success! I can't wait to see updates!

OP
OP
TerraMagnus

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is VERY neat! May I ask where you purchased your microscope/camera? I am trying to do the same with my shrimps. I am currently only using my phone to document and it's not up to par.

I wish you success! I can't wait to see updates!

Camera is a Sony A7 II. But the next time I shoot photos/video, I'm going to try using a Fujifilm X-T2. The smaller sensor should fill the frame more with what's under the microscope with a bit less cropping needed.

Microscope is AmScope T490B-DK, purchased through Amazon.

It's really easy to attach this particular microscope to a camera as it's got a C-mount built in so you can hook up any C-mount video camera commonly used on microscopes, or if you have a mirrorless camera around you can use any C-mount adapter for that camera.

OP
OP
TerraMagnus

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's been a development.

We're on day 5 post hatch now, which is the farthest we've ever gotten before. Best guess is ~40-50 larval young still alive, though it's really hard to tell in the partly-filled 10 gallon nursery tank.

They are very picky about first foods.

The size has to be right. Bigger than 25 microns, smaller than 50 microns.

The movement has to be right. Rotifers are the right size, wrong movement to trigger a feeding response.

We've tried several types of copepods. Parvocalanus seems to be the best bet so far. Passed through a 50 micron sieve so only the smallest ones go in with the babies.

OP
OP
TerraMagnus

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if baby enriched brine could be a viable option. I use to raise bettas with them and worked well
Not remotely. Baby brine shrimp are about 450 microns in size. The baby gobies are smaller than the food you're suggesting. ;) They are showing a clear preference for food between 25-50 microns in size.

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not remotely. Baby brine shrimp are about 450 microns in size. The baby gobies are smaller than the food you're suggesting. ;) They are showing a clear preference for food between 25-50 microns in size.
oh wow I had no idea they were so tiny :D . Super cool work though, will be folloing to see how everything goes!

OP
OP
TerraMagnus

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow I had no idea they were so tiny :D . Super cool work though, will be folloing to see how everything goes!
Yeah hence the challenge. We're culturing multiple types of phytoplankton to feed multiple types of zooplankton cultures to find a repeatable path to success with this species. We observe these baby fish with a jeweler's loupe and even then they are so hard to see. With the naked eye, if you have great vision, you'll really struggle to see them and even then you won't get much (if any) detail.

Right now it seems like sub-50 micron sieved parvocalanus copepods are the right size and the right movement.

OP
OP
TerraMagnus

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little over a week in now, the fry are doing fine. They are still quite tiny, hard to see without really good eyesight or optical magnification. They've mostly moved to close proximity near the seams of the nursery aquarium. They are harder to see & photograph with the silicone behind them. The Parvocalanus is thriving in the nursery, and the young gobies seem to be free-feeding off of the Parvocalanus nauplii. We only maintain a touch of phyto in the nursery tank to feed the Parvocalanus, enough to make the water seem just a little cloudy.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes. If this is it, this should be easy to do on a commercial scale. I don't want to get ahead of myself but this is finally showing a lot of promise.

OP
OP
TerraMagnus

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10, bad news. There was a mass mortality. Maybe only 8-12 survived (they are so hard to see still it's hard to get a count of them). Viewed under the microscope, they were eating fine (Parvocalanus). Water parameters are fine. I'm really not sure what could have gone wrong.

Has anyone seen this sort of mass mortality this far in with this or similar gobies?

Just out of an abundance of caution, I'm starting to think about improvements to the nursery.

Back when I used to semi-commercially breed fancy angelfish, I used jars like this as hatcheries. The system was pretty brilliant. The baby fish were confined to a small area, which made it easier to assess their numbers & health... and allowed them to feed without having to move far to find food. The nursery itself acted like a biological filter. But it could then be put inside of a much larger tank to gain the buffering benefits that go with larger volumes of water. Multiple nurseries could be put into one larger tank or tub.

So I'm thinking of making one of these out of a 1 qt. jar, putting it into a larger tank (20 gallons), and having some chaeto going in the larger tank. Once we (it's really my wife's project; I lend an assist)... once we syringe out the next batch of eggs, it's easy to squirt them into a nursery jar.

I'm wondering if they need some other more nutritious food source once they get close to that 10 day mark. They were still chowing down on Parvocalanus but none were what I would call "fat". Are they expending too much energy for too little nutrition?

Remember, we tried rotifers. These young don't find them at all attractive as a food source.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back