OP
K

krinkldink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put your hands i. Tank without cleaning off first. Might be a pollutant in water you cant test for. Hand lotion or soap or something?
I honestly don’t remember. This is a possibility, although I try to be careful about this.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unaffected clowns suggest water contaminant not an issue.

OP
OP
K

krinkldink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Bengaii Cardinal is looking really bad this morning. He’s just floating around, sometimes swims upside down, or bounces along in the current bumping into things. I have no idea what just changed or happened. The two clowns seem just fine.

This is really frustrating, frankly I’m reconsidering the hobby right now. It’s hard to know what to do for this fish when they aren’t well.

Any ideas on the Cardinal, or should I be prepared to euthanize?

Since my clowns seem fine, do I still need to worry about something greater going on in the tank?

OP
OP
K

krinkldink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the goby might be dying from a strike injury, the Bangaii not eating at the same time is pretty suspicious. Is the cardinal breathing fast? Do you know if it is captive raised or wild caught? How long have you had the cardinal?

Jay
I just remembered something. Last week I was sick, and needed to thaw more frozen food. Out of laziness, I dropped a frozen cube in my tank. I think I did this 2 or 3 days in a row. I’m not sure if that would do anything, I know it’s way more food than I normally feed. I have a small tank and only had 4 fish.

This morning, the Bengaii Cardinal is looking really bad. He’s just floating around, sometimes swims upside down, or bounces along in the current bumping into things. I have no idea what just changed or happened. The two clowns seem just fine.

This is really frustrating, frankly I’m reconsidering the hobby right now. It’s hard to know what to do for this fish when they aren’t well.

Since my clowns seem fine, do I still need to worry about something greater going on in the tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered something. Last week I was sick, and needed to thaw more frozen food. Out of laziness, I dropped a frozen cube in my tank. I think I did this 2 or 3 days in a row. I’m not sure if that would do anything, I know it’s way more food than I normally feed. I have a small tank and only had 4 fish.

This morning, the Bengaii Cardinal is looking really bad. He’s just floating around, sometimes swims upside down, or bounces along in the current bumping into things. I have no idea what just changed or happened. The two clowns seem just fine.

The frozen food would not have done anything, I'm super lazy and have done that for decades with no problem (grin).

The Bangaii does sound like it is actively dying, sorry. Trouble is, with both fish having slightly different symptoms, and the clownfish not showing anything that you've noticed, I can't suggest any treatment at this point.

Can you post a video of the clowns? Maybe I can see something that you are missing?

I know this hobby can be very frustrating, but try to ride this episode out....

Jay

OP
OP
K

krinkldink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frozen food would not have done anything, I'm super lazy and have done that for decades with no problem (grin).

The Bangaii does sound like it is actively dying, sorry. Trouble is, with both fish having slightly different symptoms, and the clownfish not showing anything that you've noticed, I can't suggest any treatment at this point.

Can you post a video of the clowns? Maybe I can see something that you are missing?

Jay
I’ll get a video of the clowns up soon.

The bengaii, would it be possible (I guess anything is possible) that he overate for a few days, had some sort of constipation or swim bladder issue?

OP
OP
K

krinkldink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Links to 2 videos of the clowns. They seem normal to me.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your Hermit Crabs. I at one time got a Juvenile Giant Hermit Crab. They are Predators, and will attack fish, especially at night. Lost quite a few fish from one of them. Snapped the back on two Chalk Bass and they escaped, but with a mortal injuries.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Links to 2 videos of the clowns. They seem normal to me.

Yes, the clowns look ok to me. I would just observe for now.
Bangaii can get a virus that isn’t treatable.

Jay

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help
Sorry for your loss and I can feel your frustration. My diamond watchman goby has the biggest personality in my tank. I hope the cardinal turns around. Unfortunately, these things just happen and are out of our control.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back