Diaphragm pumps for Top-Off and Auto-Water change, pushing height or distance, Suggestions ? what have you learned?

Do you use Diaphragm pumps

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mix station in my basement below the DT in my den. I must have made every mistake or I will before this is done. Its only about a 10' rise max. I started with a BRS 50ml doser that started out ok but after a few weeks ended up just dripping water and would time out the tunze controller. So after searching I soon realized that the only pump not effected by head pressure
is a positive displacement pump. So problem solved? Well kind of, it pushes water alright but it is LOUD. I am using 1/4" ro tubing that is bundled with others that travel upstairs, through the wall and to the display. The hammering from the diaphragm is transferring through the house. So now Im thinking about using 3/8" tube on the output side only, this should drop the pressure
and still maintain flow. I am also thinking about using a softer tubing material. For AWC gravity will definitely help to remove waste water but to push new water long term I may have to do the same as the top off.
Any suggestions ?????

20200213_193222.jpg 20191221_154131.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mix station in my basement below the DT in my den. I must have made every mistake or I will before this is done. Its only about a 10' rise max. I started with a BRS 50ml doser that started out ok but after a few weeks ended up just dripping water and would time out the tunze controller. So after searching I soon realized that the only pump not effected by head pressure
is a positive displacement pump. So problem solved? Well kind of, it pushes water alright but it is LOUD. I am using 1/4" ro tubing that is bundled with others that travel upstairs, through the wall and to the display. The hammering from the diaphragm is transferring through the house. So now Im thinking about using 3/8" tube on the output side only, this should drop the pressure
and still maintain flow. I am also thinking about using a softer tubing material. For AWC gravity will definitely help to remove waste water but to push new water long term I may have to do the same as the top off.
Any suggestions ?????

20200213_193222.jpg 20191221_154131.jpg

I'm guessing your sump is upstairs, under your tank, too. Otherwise, I'm sure you'd simply run the ATO line to your sump.

It's interesting that the positive displacemt pump is creating that much noise. Have you given thought to running a better quality positive displacement/peristaltic pump up to the tank? (i.e.- MasterFlex) I realize these can get costly but it might solve your noise issue.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little giant pump on the mix station that I use to top off and deliver salt water now, I could use multiples but thought an $80 low draw pump that is relay driven would be a simple solution, not to mention the piping. Just need to smooth out the hammering.
BTW I contacted BRS after trying their doser, and Chad? mentioned that a lot of people ended up going this route.
1583504505455.png

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 98 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back