Diatom annoyance

NanoDad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get rid of these darn things? I have flow, great filtration, only weak link is "distilled water" for top offs.......

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank/sand? If new you’ll just have to ride it out. GFO may help a bit.

OP
OP
NanoDad

NanoDad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using filter floss, chemipure elite, and recently added a purigen bag.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just the usual course of a new tank. The good news is that although diatoms look ugly and can occasionally irritate corals, they’re largely harmless. Once the silicates are depleted most will go away even though you may see an occasional patch here and there.

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can disturb the sandbed and get a cloud in places and i do that every water change. the tank is a 180 mixed and 10 months old with plenty of live rock and all live sand.
why cant these diatoms go away! i hate brown crap on the sand

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

It's not possible to be sandbed invaded after running the details linked there. I'm not through editing the first post, it's becoming an article eventually but check out the work we've done forcing sandbeds to comply as moves we took in other people's tanks. We move tanks, upgrade downgrade and remedy all through sandbed cleaning. Many biological methods and counter balances and controls exist to coax out your invader

And then there's rip cleaning, forced compliance by tonite option. This is why I always state nano reefs have it easier than large tanks, we can retro clean easily where larger tankers ideally -start- the tank super rinsed, vs early silicate cloudy sand, since catch-up work is daunting in + 50 gallons

Post a pic of your setup, depending on details it could be beatable without sand diving since that's a huge job. We're able to customize around tank hugeness let's see challenge

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back