Diatom Bloom

Learner123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am in the middle of a large Diatom bloom 6 months after setting up tank - is that normal?

Also, starting to see a lot of green algae, which I think is an indication that the diatoms are going to begin disappearing. I have two snails in there (30 gallon). How many more snails should I throw in there to control the green algae and diatom?

Thanks!

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

What are the parameters looking like? One turbo snail per 1-2 gallons & one hermit crab per 5-10 gallons will help keep your tank algae free. You may want to look for more non-aggressive hermit crab species (Clibanarius tricolor, Calcinus elegans) and hardier snail species that are more capable of flipping themselves (Tectus fenestratus, Trochus). A few Mexican turbo snails and Conchs can also be good additions to the reef aquarium. Keep in mind hermit crabs can eat your snails for their shells so it's best to have much more snails than hermits or provide the crabs with empty shells.

sinfulreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am in the middle of a large Diatom bloom 6 months after setting up tank - is that normal?

Also, starting to see a lot of green algae, which I think is an indication that the diatoms are going to begin disappearing. I have two snails in there (30 gallon). How many more snails should I throw in there to control the green algae and diatom?

Thanks
Hi,

Thanks!
Put atleast 15 snails and hermits in that tank man. And just the snails alone won’t fix this problem . The diatoms I would recommend dowsing phosguard to remove all silicates from the water therefor starving the diatoms . Do that for a couple weeks while clean it our sand with water changes and making sure where ever your water is coming from is clean . May need to replace ro filters or just simply buy cleaner water

Back