Diatom?

Newbie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Ok so I cured my rock work and everything is going well. I have a few fish and snails in the tank. I want to add substrate now. Will this start a whole new diatom process over?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok so I cured my rock work and everything is going well. I have a few fish and snails in the tank. I want to add substrate now. Will this start a whole new diatom process over?
Most likely it will due to excess silicates being added again.

Good new is they go away!

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi, Diatoms will not grow in your tank unless you have silicates in your water. So long as you use good RO/DI water for your topping off and water changes, the diatoms will go away in time , Diatoms is not a bad thing types of snails, Copepods even fish will feed on it. It will come and go but I wouldn’t worry to much!, you can sometimes position your wave pumps to blow sufficiently just to move it of the sand without blasting the sand everywhere, that is if you are having substrate.

OP
Newbie1

Newbie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Is it bad to run with no substrate? Do people do that? Or if I do add substrate does this mean I need to hold off on adding fish and anemones?

Taylor S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Is it bad to run with no substrate? Do people do that? Or if I do add substrate does this mean I need to hold off on adding fish and anemones?
If you have adequate rock I don’t see why that can’t act as your main filtration

What keeps you "driving forward" in this hobby?

• Tank success

Votes: 150 39.8%
  • Hobby Friendships

Votes: 12 3.2%
  • Boredom

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Fish as your pets

Votes: 95 25.2%
  • Can't quit now! Too much invested.

Votes: 52 13.8%
  • I make money from the hobby

Votes: 7 1.9%