Diatoms, cyano, or?

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. My tank has been up and running about 7 months. Still battling the ugly phase. Here are some pics. Not sure if it's diatoms, cyano, or what? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_20201128_145012055.jpg IMG_20201128_144959555.jpg IMG_20201128_145007348.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I read post in your tank thread, I gather your tank has not yet stabilized and is still in uglies phase.

Considering your experience level and what I have read in some of your post, I suggest two things: do routine partial water changes and use granulated activated carbon to remove dissolved organic carbon.

Get some snails in your clean up crew and beware of hermit crabs as they eat snails. A serpent or brittle starfish is a good detrivore/omnivore that will assist with substrate maintenance.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I read post in your tank thread, I gather your tank has not yet stabilized and is still in uglies phase.

Considering your experience level and what I have read in some of your post, I suggest two things: do routine partial water changes and use granulated activated carbon to remove dissolved organic carbon.

Get some snails in your clean up crew and beware of hermit crabs as they eat snails. A serpent or brittle starfish is a good detrivore/omnivore that will assist with substrate maintenance.
Thanks. I do have snails and crabs. I have used carbon but it almost bottomed my nitrates out. I'll give it a try again though.

zavosan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I would like to borrow your thread :)
My tank is 3 months old, nitrates 1-2, phosphate 0.03 - 0.1 (salifert) - I am waiting for Hanna

are that also diatoms?
edit. here is also picture if you can not open video

Attachments

• IMG_9515.MOV
    18.5 MB
Last edited:

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend an ICP water test to check for high silicates. If it is diatoms, they feed on silicates and until you remove this food source they will be difficult to control. Check both DT and RODI for silicates. If present in the RODI you will need to change your DI filter (even if TDS reads 0). If no excess silicates it may be cyano which may be cured with chemi-clean.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend an ICP water test to check for high silicates. If it is diatoms, they feed on silicates and until you remove this food source they will be difficult to control. Check both DT and RODI for silicates. If present in the RODI you will need to change your DI filter (even if TDS reads 0). If no excess silicates it may be cyano which may be cured with chemi-clean.
I have asked my LFS about their tds and they always say it's zero and that they test regularly. I wonder though. It seems like my diatoms get worse after a water change.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked my LFS about their tds and they always say it's zero and that they test regularly. I wonder though. It seems like my diatoms get worse after a water change.
Testing revealed I had high silicates in my RODI water (and a diatom bloom in my DT) even though TDS meter read 0. I changed the DI filter and ran the test again - 0 silicates. For some reason, the DI cartridge was exhausted with respect to silicate removal and didn't register with TDS. Very confusing but solved my problem. Never any harm in getting a professional water analysis in any event.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you need an accurate water test to know your parameters. If diatoms bloom after a water change, a trace mineral which limits diatom growth was introduced during water change. It is not necessarily silica, it could just as easily be iron.

Because I am having parts of this conversation in chemistry forum, I will post links from Randy Holmes Farley.

[Finally, and I think most importantly, I’ll recommend that people consider dosing soluble silica to their tanks to support the variety of organisms that potentially use it, from sponges to limpets]

[In reef tanks, where nitrogen and phosphorus are often not in short supply, it makes sense that silica could be limiting. In case you were thinking that silica limitation to diatom growth is necessarily a good thing, there are drawbacks. The limitation of silica, inhibiting the growth of diatoms that would otherwise take up the limiting nutrients nitrogen and phosphorus, has even been implicated in blooms of cyanobacteria.]

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back