Diatoms? Dino's? Cyano? What a week.

Marc11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been dealing with what I thought was cyano, now im not so sure. I think i have a mix between diatoms and cyano, but now im thinking i might have the trifecta. Any recommendations?

My skimmer went nuts last night and lover flowed. Took me about an hour to dial it back in. Then woke up to cloudy water, I freaked out and put new carbon in. Then I noticed that smoke was coming out of all my snails. Looks like its sexy time in my tank.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoke? What the heck? Are you using RODI water? I recommend a hefty water change pronto. That's a good start to any reef problem.

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stormatella snails are breeding...there's some magic happening in your tank buddy. Just turn the lights low, put on some Barry White, dose some vodka and leave the room for a bit ;)

I'm also having an odd algae problem in my tank.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1391266447.348369.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1391266457.632720.jpg

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd algae me 3 ........
Oh and babybaby baby...........Barry White hahaha

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno, it's weird, it's not stringy and bubbly, it's like blobs or something, I can't describe it

OP
OP
Marc11

Marc11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the smoke was just snails releasing their love juice.

I confirmed I have cyano and diatoms. I must of activated silica in the sand bed when I tried to syphon out cyano. Thus activating diatoms. Will feed tank less, put a little GFO in system, and am manually removing cyano with a tool UsefulIdiot gave me. I should have it under control in a few weeks.

chriskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread might have to go the privacy area.....lol (just joking) :)

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah get a room hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:spy:

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate dinos they destroy your tank. Only way I got mine to fizzle out was peroxide and 3 days no lights. Then it turned itself into diatoms which may be becuase I added new sand after sucking out so much of the old. I was doing multiple changes a week to keep the dinos down. Im guessing the silicates in the new sand may be fueling the diatoms. My tank is odd I get all of the algea issues but they never get crazy out of controll.

Stomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes fuel Dino's. Never do water changes when combatting them. Removing sand is not necessary whatsoever.

Stomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya'll need to, Practice What You Preach. Lol :)

I do buddy... Experience and lots of it tells me how to combat these things... I'm simply telling people what they need to know about Dino's. At least we contributed to the discussion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marc11

Marc11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back to my issue. I def have cyano and diatoms. I have been sucking out cyano trying not to disturb sand bed. I have been doing 5-10 gallon water changes a day on my tank that is 130 total volume. Im also running a small amount of GFO (2 tablespoons as Im scared to use more).
Does anyone have recommendations on anything else i can do?

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still confused on mine also Marc, my refugium recently had a huge out break of Cyano...not sure as to the reason though.

And i still have this mystery crap growing on my rocks!

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one really knows what fuels dinos. Every person has a diiferent thought and ot doesn't seem to work since theres different strands of dinos. Mine never got worse after doimg water changes. To me iys not worth risking letting it take over by not doing water changes. Maybe jusy literally changing just water may fuel them but aggressive siphoning is removing the dinos which has to help.

Stomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its very important to siphon them when dealing with them, siphoning as much of them as you possibly can. the idea is they are fueled by certain trace elements, and it helps to let them burn themselves out. UV will help as they release into the water column during lights out. and sufficient peroxide dosing will kill the rest. oversized skimming does help, but not enough to ride it solo... however it doesnt happen over nite. and many simply dont dose enough peroxide and/or stay with it long enough when they go that route. its generally not one solution, but a combined effort of many things, giving them the least chance to make it. if your diligent, stick with it, and use a combination of actions, you will in fact eradicate them. but it requires patience, diligence, and sufficient amounts of various treatments.

you can change all the water you want, but your jus wasting your salt. its more important to siphon, and best to do so into a very fine filter sock. but ive only got like 4 days of reefing experience, so dont take my word for anything lol

however, i have not seen any pics where i see dinos in this thread. so im probably jus wasting my time with this response. ive tried to help people over and over and over with dinos as i have alot of experience with them, but no one ever takes my advice and these threads just keep coming up locally, so i should probably just not bother and stop..... but, thats not my style, as i like to help people.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back