OP
OP
Marc11

Marc11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the activity on this thread. That being said, I have Cyano and Diatoms, not DINO's. I would love for people to chime in on how they battled them and what worked the best. Thanks guys and keep the good info coming.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you go your top paragraph is excactly 100% right. To be the pic is impossible to tell what it is

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay lets start with cyano. There's 2 things that cause cyano excessive nuttrients and low flow areas. Diatoms are fueled by silicates. How old is your sand bed

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back to my issue. I def have cyano and diatoms. I have been sucking out cyano trying not to disturb sand bed. I have been doing 5-10 gallon water changes a day on my tank that is 130 total volume. Im also running a small amount of GFO (2 tablespoons as Im scared to use more).
Does anyone have recommendations on anything else i can do?

Well Warren swears by using Microbe lift a bacteria product. The theory being that you're adding a bacteria that will outcompete the cyanobacteria. I haven't been able to get rid of my cyano for 2 years now, I've just accepted it. I' haven't tried Microbe lift myself because RHF says that bacteria products are snake oil and I tend to agree with his reasoning behind it. You may want to do a three days lights outs with the gfo and wet skimming. 4th day t5's only 5th day halides back on. Maybe that can get you enough time for the sps burnt tips to heal and would be less of an issue if it returns? I've also read that cyano is a no3 po4 imbalance. I've tried adding stump remover(potassium nitrate) to my system to balance it but it didn't seem to help. Mine doesn't seem to be as bad as it used to with my last effort in vinegar dosing. This time I dosed very low and ramped up 35mls over 8 weeks and now I dropped to 25 mls. Previous attempts starting at 30 mls seems to make the cyano worse. Also I lit fuge with a brighter light. Also off topic the directions on oyster feast say feed a 1/4 of the recommended amount every day and increase slowly, your system will adjust to the extra food supply and be able to process it. So if you feed the mussels again it may just take time for things to balance out. Good luck

OP
OP
Marc11

Marc11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I think I will give it another week and then try the 3 days no light. See if that helps me catch up to it. I have been feeding a lot less and siphoning like a SOB.

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back to my issue. I def have cyano and diatoms. I have been sucking out cyano trying not to disturb sand bed. I have been doing 5-10 gallon water changes a day on my tank that is 130 total volume. Im also running a small amount of GFO (2 tablespoons as Im scared to use more).
Does anyone have recommendations on anything else i can do?

Two TBSP? Is that really all you've got in there? On a 130g system you could definitely do WAY more than that. I had like 3-4c on my 120 and things colored up amazingly well and the cyan died down very quickly.

Okay lets start with cyano. There's 2 things that cause cyano excessive nuttrients and low flow areas. Diatoms are fueled by silicates. How old is your sand bed
Also, cyanos can be caused by old bulbs shifting spectrum.

How old are your bulbs? Could it be time for a change?

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc
We you not running LED until recently and then switched to MH? Did the outbreak start after the switch?
If so I agree with Evilmel as it may be bulb related

JimmyZ19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemi Clean. Then I'd move up to 2 1/2 cups GFO but honestly that's a side note to fixing the problem. After two days with chemi clean do a 20-30% water change. Run carbon for at least 24 hours before turning skimmer back on. Then turn the skimmer on and empty it until it stops bubbling over. Sounds like you could cut back your light cycle. 3 days of darkness will not be as effective as chemi clean.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do buddy... Experience and lots of it tells me how to combat these things... I'm simply telling people what they need to know about Dino's. At least we contributed to the discussion.

All in jest buddy-In reference to the Barry White comment-bit sensitive ya think? Geeeezzzz

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Special Blend microbe lift with great success, it does take time, 3 or 4 treatments over a few weeks.

OP
OP
Marc11

Marc11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had someone identify my problem as Cyano. I did a thorough check of my system and realized that my pump that supplies water to my fuge was almost completely blocked. I fixed that ans will try Microbe-lift Special Blend. Ill post back what the results are.

jstec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemi clean wipes it out fast took care of my problem in a day

OP
OP
Marc11

Marc11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im scared of any chemicals, I put the Microb-lift Special Blend in today. Man does that stuff stink. Ill let you know in a week how it looks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back