Diatoms, Dinos, or what?

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help to identify this stuff... I've had this brown algae on my sand ever since I started this tank over a year ago. I've gone back and fourth on whether it's diatoms, cyano or something else. The tank is not in direct sunlight but is in a fairly bright room that gets morning light and that's when this stuff shows up every morning.

I've gone through a couple chemiclean treatments with no effect whatsoever thinking that it may be cyano.

Water changes have little to no effect either. Once or twice it was even worse the day following a water change.

The only thing it responds to is lights out for a couple days. But it always seems to come back. Photo below is a couple hours after sunrise with lights off.

Nitrate: .25
Phos: 0 (Hanna Low Range)
Alk: 7.9
Cal: 415
Mg: 1410

brown.jpg

Hanfam1111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piggy Backing here. Identical issue.
8.2 dkh
1 ppm Nitrate
0 phos
440 Calcium
8.2 PH
Tank has been Fallow for 6 weeks
Looking toward to hearing some possible causes. I get occasional Cyno and a few drops of chemi and it’s gone in 1 day. Doesn’t touch this stuff. I also get ALOT of reflective light in the morning

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try lowering the “white” light and upping the flow.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your water for silicate? That is typically what drives diatoms. I have a lot of silicate in my local water supply and I have to use a Silica Buster DI cartridge. I had frequent diatom issues before using that cartridge. The Salifert silicate test kit never shows any silicate in my water but an ICP test confirmed it. Silicate does not show up on TDS meters, so I had no idea I had an issue before that.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same in my tank for almost 2 years. It comes and goes. I've tried more flow, less flow, black out, no whites.

It comes and goes. Doesn't bother me anymore. I think I might add a couple two spot gobies, or some diamond gobies to try and turn the sand over constantly. This way it doesn't have a chance to grow.

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your water for silicate? That is typically what drives diatoms. I have a lot of silicate in my local water supply and I have to use a Silica Buster DI cartridge. I had frequent diatom issues before using that cartridge. The Salifert silicate test kit never shows any silicate in my water but an ICP test confirmed it. Silicate does not show up on TDS meters, so I had no idea I had an issue before that.
My latest triton test from March didn't show excessive Silicate... pretty much in the green.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back