Diatoms (new tank cycle)

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! This being my first reef tank, I have been dealing with what looks like diatoms for some time (new tank, 17 weeks since start of cycling). I would estimate it started around 7-8 weeks ago, and has pretty much persisted daily. My question is, how long can I expect to be dealing with this part of the cycle? Anything else I should do to help it along? No sign of any other types of algae yet. I know it differs for everyone, but I’m getting pretty tired of seeing this cloudy water and rusty coverage day to day.

Parameters:
Salinity 1.026 / Temp 77-78 / pH 8.2 / Ammonia 0 / Nitrite 0 / Nitrate 10 / Phos .20 / Alk 8.5 / Ca 405 / Mg 1250

Tank size: 55 display / 15 sump

I dose microbacter7 daily. Earlier on (4 weeks ago) I was dealing with very low nitrates and Phosphates to the point where one of my hammers was closing up and thinning, so I dosed those a bit to get them up, suspecting they were being consumed by the diatoms. The hammer responded well and perked back up after a few days. Have not had to dose after getting the numbers up.

I do a 10% water change weekly, alternating vacuuming sand and rock. My protein skimmer seems to run normally, dumping every 3-4 days as needed. Changing out filter pad every 2-3 days. I mix my Red Sea salt using RODI water (new system, filters seem to be fine). TDS reading zero out.

CUC: 2 turbos/4 hermits/20 nassarius/12 trochus. The snails do decent work of it through the night.

When starting the tank, about 5 months ago, I used live sand, and dry Marco rock. My understanding is diatoms feed on mainly silicates, so I just need to let them run their course until the next thing takes over. They appear after my light cycle begins each day, and increase growth in the afternoon when light is the strongest. Things seem to clear up a little with lights off. I did reduce my light intensity by 25% and the time of light down to 8hr. If I vacuum the sand it’ll pop back up within a few hours if lights are on.

Appreciate any input, I’m just throwing this question out there as I don’t see a whole lot of new tank cycles with diatoms lasting this long.

sidenote: I have seen what looks to be a lot of copepods starting to populate in the sand bed and on the glass, not sure how they were introduced but I think that’s a good sign!

4E11AAB4-0F48-47D9-8B13-D9FEEE066BE8.jpeg 0E614E11-76DA-4AA5-B036-F0F252E23761.jpeg

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, as i’m having the same problem

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! This being my first reef tank, I have been dealing with what looks like diatoms for some time (new tank, 17 weeks since start of cycling). I would estimate it started around 7-8 weeks ago, and has pretty much persisted daily. My question is, how long can I expect to be dealing with this part of the cycle? Anything else I should do to help it along? No sign of any other types of algae yet. I know it differs for everyone, but I’m getting pretty tired of seeing this cloudy water and rusty coverage day to day.

Parameters:
Salinity 1.026 / Temp 77-78 / pH 8.2 / Ammonia 0 / Nitrite 0 / Nitrate 10 / Phos .20 / Alk 8.5 / Ca 405 / Mg 1250

Tank size: 55 display / 15 sump

I dose microbacter7 daily. Earlier on (4 weeks ago) I was dealing with very low nitrates and Phosphates to the point where one of my hammers was closing up and thinning, so I dosed those a bit to get them up, suspecting they were being consumed by the diatoms. The hammer responded well and perked back up after a few days. Have not had to dose after getting the numbers up.

I do a 10% water change weekly, alternating vacuuming sand and rock. My protein skimmer seems to run normally, dumping every 3-4 days as needed. Changing out filter pad every 2-3 days. I mix my Red Sea salt using RODI water (new system, filters seem to be fine). TDS reading zero out.

CUC: 2 turbos/4 hermits/20 nassarius/12 trochus. The snails do decent work of it through the night.

When starting the tank, about 5 months ago, I used live sand, and dry Marco rock. My understanding is diatoms feed on mainly silicates, so I just need to let them run their course until the next thing takes over. They appear after my light cycle begins each day, and increase growth in the afternoon when light is the strongest. Things seem to clear up a little with lights off. I did reduce my light intensity by 25% and the time of light down to 8hr. If I vacuum the sand it’ll pop back up within a few hours if lights are on.

Appreciate any input, I’m just throwing this question out there as I don’t see a whole lot of new tank cycles with diatoms lasting this long.

sidenote: I have seen what looks to be a lot of copepods starting to populate in the sand bed and on the glass, not sure how they were introduced but I think that’s a good sign!

4E11AAB4-0F48-47D9-8B13-D9FEEE066BE8.jpeg 0E614E11-76DA-4AA5-B036-F0F252E23761.jpeg
You might want to test your RODI water for silicates since, if your tap water is high, sometimes they aren't all filtered out with regular RODI filters.

You might also try adding some nerite and/or cerith snails.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to test your RODI water for silicates since, if your tap water is high, sometimes they aren't all filtered out with regular RODI filters.

You might also try adding some nerite and/or cerith snails.
Good idea.

What test kit would you recommend for testing silicates? I have a mix of Red Sea and salifert at the moment.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the dry rock method has come and gone. Once you get past diatoms and cyano, prepare to farm green hair algae.

I recommend some live ocean rock, with all of its risks.
How exactly does that help the OP with the issue he needs help with?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, diatoms are a harmless phase of new tank evolution that everyone experiences. Some start early, others a few months post cycle. They typically just go away on their own once the excess silicate in your sand is gone unless your RODI has excess silicate to. Then they may linger longer. Just focus on keeping parameters stable and weekly water changes. You will have a variety of nuisance algae challenges the first year of your tank. Adding a live ocean rock or two can help Jumpstart your tanks biodiversity though and make the first year more manageable.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, diatoms are a harmless phase of new tank evolution that everyone experiences. Some start early, others a few months post cycle. They typically just go away on their own once the excess silicate in your sand is gone unless your RODI has excess silicate to. Then they may linger longer. Just focus on keeping parameters stable and weekly water changes. You will have a variety of nuisance algae challenges the first year of your tank. Adding a live ocean rock or two can help Jumpstart your tanks biodiversity though and make the first year more manageable.
I’ll be ordering a silicate test kit and ensure my rodi is good. As far as adding live rock, I do have more room in my sump where I currently have a bio block. May look into adding there. Any recommendations on live rock? How much of it would be impactful? Thinking to go to my lfs for that.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the dry rock method has come and gone. Once you get past diatoms and cyano, prepare to farm green hair algae.

Makes sense. I started a tank brand new with dry rock and sand and planned to let it run with no corals for a good year. Started hetting diatoms pretty quickly. I had a crazy amount of cyano, I manually removed it and did a big water change to get rid of it. Came back and did the chemiclean treatment. Did another large water change. Has not been back since. Then the hair algae started to appear a couple months ago. I finally got tired of looking at it so I scraped the rock with a hard nylon brush and sucked it out. Did this twice. Bought a couple tangs and tosses them in to manage it. So far so good. I'm going on almost 8 months and the tank is starting to look somewhat seasoned. No white rocks. Still have another 4 months to go. Corals should be out of QT by then.

I've only setup tanks in the past with live rocks when the LFS uses to offer it. so doing all dry is a first. I don't mind the wait but I've come to the realization that no matter how hard I try to keep something out like aiptasia, bubble algae, or other pests they will inevitably win. You just have to manage them properly. My tank is more than ready for softies and LPS but I'm just hesitant of adding them in.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be ordering a silicate test kit and ensure my rodi is good. As far as adding live rock, I do have more room in my sump where I currently have a bio block. May look into adding there. Any recommendations on live rock? How much of it would be impactful? Thinking to go to my lfs for that.
People seem to like KP aquatics for live ocean rock shipped wet. You just need to QT it for a bit in a brute container and remove any potential pests but you wouldn't need more then couple pieces to Jumpstart your biodiversity. You have room with your current rockscape but sump can be an option to. LFS is just used tank rock. Get the real stuff from the ocean. There are several vendors on here with good reviews.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People seem to like KP aquatics for live ocean rock shipped wet. You just need to QT it for a bit in a brute container and remove any potential pests but you wouldn't need more then couple pieces to Jumpstart your biodiversity. You have room with your current rockscape but sump can be an option to. LFS is just used tank rock. Get the real stuff from the ocean. There are several vendors on here with good reviews.
Awesome, thanks! Will add some live rock to help introduce biodiversity. When starting the tank I did some research and was set on dry rock cycling to avoid pests, but like you said it’s mostly unavoidable in this hobby.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 10lb of live rock to the DT and moved one dry rock to the sump to make room. Let’s see how this plays out! Thanks for the tip on KP aquatics, great looking rock and super fresh. Hopefully got some good hitchhikers, will be keeping an eye out. Did a salinity dip and inspected a bit before putting it in the tank.

Attachments

• F5A5A7C5-C7E1-4327-BB21-B992961AD79D.jpeg
    F5A5A7C5-C7E1-4327-BB21-B992961AD79D.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 72

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I second this!!! You forgot to throw in dinos....Dry rock is whack for me. I wasted so much money to be depressed and stare at a brown sludge of a fish tank. Some people can do it and that's good for them and it greatly impresses me and i admire their work. But this cajun will NEVER start a tank with dry rock again. Ocean rock comes with its pitfalls. But to me pales in comparison to the problems I had with dry rock.

Last edited:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this!!! You forgot to throw in dinos....Dry rock is whack for me. I wasted so much money to be depressed and stare at a brown sludge of a fish tank. Some people can do it and that's good for them and it greatly impresses me and i admire their work. But this cajun will NEVER start a tank with dry rock again. Ocean rock comes with its pitfalls. But to me pales in comparison to the problems I had with dry rock.
et toi!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock from the LFS is not what I mean. It can be hit or miss. I am talking about live ocean rock. I am familiar with East coast providers like Tampa Bay Saltwater. Some folks on here have had good luck with KP aquatics, but I do not know where they are located. You won't find it at your LFS. It is a specialized mariculture product. Even just a few pounds would add a ton of biodiversity. Here is what mine looked like out of the box. It is shipped submerged in water.

IMG_5021.jpg

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after a few days of introducing live rock: water clarity is the best I’ve had since starting my cycle! Diatoms seem to be dialed back a bit, still visible but at the peak of the light cycle it’s not even close to what it was before. My skimmer doesn’t need to be dumped so often, and my filter socks dont need to be replaced daily. I’m amazed at how quickly it’s helping. Looking forward to seeing the next few months of (hopefully) progress toward a more mature tank. Thanks all for the advice.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back