Diatoms on newly introduced rocks only

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I added some old dry rock a couple weeks ago and I started noticing a couple days ago a brown film on them. Today I can clearly see it is like a brown slime. They have some tiny micro bubbles starting to lift it so I can definitely see the slimey-ness.

The rocks I added were some old dry rocks that had been in a tank long ago and had sat in my backyard for years. I bleach cured them by the process I’ve seen explained by BRS. I had them sitting in a solution of RO water and bleach for a week. Then a few days of them sitting in Fresh RO water with dechloronizer. Then I let them dry out for a day. Then I put them in RO water again for a day and tested for chlorine. Since it was showing no chlorine I put them in the DT.

a week after there were no I’ll effects to the inhabitants nor any difference showing up in my water analysis. And then the brown stuff started showing up. Again, exclusively on the newly added rocks.

I just wanted to know if this will go away on its own and just maintain my weekly water changing regiment or if I should be doing/checking for something else.

OP
OP
dbati

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m attaching a picture. Now I’m thinking it may be Dinos.

Attachments

• 21BDEC79-E79B-4D8E-AFC5-2D52A42B8A88.jpeg
    21BDEC79-E79B-4D8E-AFC5-2D52A42B8A88.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
dbati

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters??? Please include phosphates and nitrates
Phosphates are between 0.25 and 0.5ppm
Nitrates are between 5 and 10ppm.

I am scheduled for a water change on Sunday.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.05 - 0.08 is more appropriate numbers for phosphates. The pic you have , could you possibly take it and post it again with your whites on . I could only guess but from what I see you may have a case of Dino’s cultivating

OP
OP
dbati

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.05 - 0.08 is more appropriate numbers for phosphates. The pic you have , could you possibly take it and post it again with your whites on . I could only guess but from what I see you may have a case of Dino’s cultivating
I think my phosphates are super low. I have the little chemistry kit so I’m just eyeballing throw colors. It is between the zero color and the first stage.

OP
OP
dbati

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is with only whites. I stress again, it isn’t showing up on the original rocks nor the sand bed. Only on the newly added rock work.

C07A18CB-0D6B-4932-82CD-4F38E73A891E.jpeg

Last edited:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is with only whites. I stress again, it isn’t showing up one the original rocks not the sand bed. Only on the newly added rock work.
I have added new rock before as well and always go through the diatom stage which is normal . Keep a eye on it and if it gets worse or spreads to the other rocks then I would take action . Keep your parameters within correct range and steady and most likely it will age without incident. I would try to get your phosphates down though to at least under 0.1 . Surprised you haven’t mentioned a algae issue . Good luck !

OP
OP
dbati

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added new rock before as well and always go through the diatom stage which is normal . Keep a eye on it and if it gets worse or spreads to the other rocks then I would take action . Keep your parameters within correct range and steady and most likely it will age without incident. I would try to get your phosphates down though to at least under 0.1 . Surprised you haven’t mentioned a algae issue . Good luck !

yeah this is the first real nuisance outbreak I’ve had since I set it up 3 months ago. Knock on wood.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back