Diatoms: When do they go away?

Is there any light in your sump? They are a type of algae which feed mostly from silica if I remember correctly and from my personal experience they don't show in a cycle until light it added.

There is a light in my sump. I also set up a QT tank back in February and I never once got Diatoms in there either. Is it possible that there were silicates in the trash can I bought and used to store the RO?
 
a young tank in my experience will go through various stages of algae. just give it time, keep up on your water changes. PATIENCE
 
It can be if you added anything new like live rock or sand or if you're getting some silicates in your RODI water. Have you tested your RODI TDS?
 
I just bought a brand new RO/DI unit. My old one was only RO. They disappear at night and then come back in the morning.
Mines doing the same thing but I noticed my emerald crab ate one of my snails and took it under a rock the next day i could see brown reddish algae on the sand. You can start to see it when the lights come on and starts to go away when lights go out.
 
Diatoms do that. You could try lights out and no food for a few days but youre getting extra nutrients from somewhere
 
Yea, if you've changed lighting recently. they usually rear their ugly head for a few weeks and disappear again.
 
There ya go. They will go away just like they did in a new tank, just takes alittle time.
 
Well, I don't know what to think know. I have these tentacle looking things coming out of them in spots on the sand bed now. If it's dino's, how could that be in a new tank?
 
Dinos would show strands of snot going up, with air bubbles in them. Can you post up a pic?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new