Did a Par test on my tank running 2 Kessil 360x & Aquatic Life Hybrid T5

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers are great for a mixed reef. Tank has been up and running for about 9 months and just now getting to Par reading.. But like what I am seeing

ParLayout .JPG

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the color setting?
I'd like to see that with the Narrow reflectors!

Check my original photo again the color is listed at the bottom left . I do have one of the Kessil reflectors but did not do a full full par test across the tank but did test upper right corner were the current par is reading 425/275. I was shocked what the par came out with the reflector it was 750/680. Now that is a narrow beam and once I got a little off center of the light it dropped significant

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I have a similar setup with 360we(s) at 8" above the water. Using a rental par meter from BAR, I measured higher PAR at 75%. Makes me question the accuracy of my measurements.

I rented mine from BRS. Remeber when looking at the measurements on photo the 1st number is with T5 and Kessil running and there are 4 39w T5 bulbs. The 2nd number is with only Kessil at 100%. Also I have all of my pumps turned off. The wattage for 360we is 90w correct?

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rented mine from BRS. Remeber when looking at the measurements on photo the 1st number is with T5 and Kessil running and there are 4 39w T5 bulbs. The 2nd number is with only Kessil at 100%. Also I have all of my pumps turned off. The wattage for 360we is 90w correct?

Yes I believe 90w is correct. I measured without pumps running as well. My Kessils are likely closer together than yours (12" centers) as it's on a 24" tank. I measured 435 at 4" below the water line in the center out to 320 at the edges. This is with the T5s on and the the kessils at ~75%. I don't remember exact numbers at 100% but it was in the 650-750 range. My numbers just seem excessive in comparison to your's.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I believe 90w is correct. I measured without pumps running as well. My Kessils are likely closer together than yours (12" centers) as it's on a 24" tank. I measured 435 at 4" below the water line in the center out to 320 at the edges. This is with the T5s on and the the kessils at ~75%. I don't remember exact numbers at 100% but it was in the 650-750 range. My numbers just seem excessive in comparison to your's.

That is little bit of difference between our measurements. I have 2 360x spaced 12 inches apart. I measured par about 6 months ago right when I set the tank up and was pretty close to what I just did so there is some consistent in my measurement. Also I am taking my measurements were corals are or will go and placing the meter right on the rock work so there could be should shading here and there versus just up in the water. Were did you get our par rental from.

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is little bit of difference between our measurements. I have 2 360x spaced 12 inches apart. I measured par about 6 months ago right when I set the tank up and was pretty close to what I just did so there is some consistent in my measurement. Also I am taking my measurements were corals are or will go and placing the meter right on the rock work so there could be should shading here and there versus just up in the water. Were did you get our par rental from.

Bulk Reef, same as you. Yeah seems strange pretty much the same wattage over nearly the same area. The one variable may be how we measured "percentage" I used the 0-10v line via a Reefkeeper controller ALC module. What about you?

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef, same as you. Yeah seems strange pretty much the same wattage over nearly the same area. The one variable may be how we measured "percentage" I used the 0-10v line via a Reefkeeper controller ALC module. What about you?

I just used the meter as is. Placed the wand right were I wanted it. Let get stable once the water surface settled down. Called out the reading to the wife and she wrote it down. Then move to the next spot on the rock to measure. Something to think about is the highest measurement for me is a total of 14- 15 inches from light source maybe even little more. You said you did 4 inches from the water surface. I bet mine would be really high that close the light source.

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the meter as is. Placed the wand right were I wanted it. Let get stable once the water surface settled down. Called out the reading to the wife and she wrote it down. Then move to the next spot on the rock to measure. Something to think about is the highest measurement for me is a total of 14- 15 inches from light source maybe even little more. You said you did 4 inches from the water surface. I bet mine would be really high that close the light source.

Yes a little closer, my light is ~8" of the water so the measurement was ~12" from the light. That would account for at least some of the discrepancy. And what method did you use to adjust the kessils to the 100% intensity?

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a little closer, my light is ~8" of the water so the measurement was ~12" from the light. That would account for at least some of the discrepancy. And what method did you use to adjust the kessils to the 100% intensity?

Using the SPECTRAL CONTROLLER X Can see it in my cabinet top left. What about yourself
20200209_145001.jpg

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the 0-10v line via a Reefkeeper controller ALC module. Reefkeeper if you're not familiar, is an older aquarium controller like an Apex. It can control the Kessils via a analog 0-10v signal. It probably is not linear so 75% may not actually be a true 75%. I would have expected some discrepancies as were not comparing exact setups this just seems to be a lot and in my opinion the wrong direction. I would have expected that your Kessils would put out more par. I guess I'm just going to have to live with not knowing what I thought I knew, as I'm not renting the meter again! LOL

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WEs put out a good bit more PAR while the X puts out considerably wider spread. An X can be mounted over 2" lower and provide the same spread as a WE. Dropping the X helps to mitigate the PAR deficit. I have the results in a post around here somewhere.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the 0-10v line via a Reefkeeper controller ALC module. Reefkeeper if you're not familiar, is an older aquarium controller like an Apex. It can control the Kessils via a analog 0-10v signal. It probably is not linear so 75% may not actually be a true 75%. I would have expected some discrepancies as were not comparing exact setups this just seems to be a lot and in my opinion the wrong direction. I would have expected that your Kessils would put out more par. I guess I'm just going to have to live with not knowing what I thought I knew, as I'm not renting the meter again! LOL

Ahhhh.. Now I follow you.. Something to remember is these Kessil light are only 90w were others like Radion are 105w which is a big jump. They are more than powerful enough to grow any corals you want. What I like about them is the shimmer affect which is very natural looking for a light. I also like Kessil logic which helps keep all of the lighting settings within the correct range. Nice chatting with you and good luck your tank

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh.. Now I follow you.. Something to remember is these Kessil light are only 90w were others like Radion are 105w which is a big jump. They are more than powerful enough to grow any corals you want. What I like about them is the shimmer affect which is very natural looking for a light. I also like Kessil logic which helps keep all of the lighting settings within the correct range. Nice chatting with you and good luck your tank

Oh yeah, not worried about the ability to grow anything, just fussing over the details. Beautifully neat set up you got going there by the way.
Same to you.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i really like your aquascape! Very nice!

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WEs put out a good bit more PAR while the X puts out considerably wider spread. An X can be mounted over 2" lower and provide the same spread as a WE. Dropping the X helps to mitigate the PAR deficit. I have the results in a post around here somewhere.

Really? I was under the impression that the X had slightly better output.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great clarification on these 2 Kissel.. Thanks for posting

Back