Did I buy a pump too big for my system?

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for 800 gph flow through tank/sump. Initial estimated head pressure for planned return run is 11 feet. Bought a Sicce SDC 9.0 which shows a rough flow estimate of 1800 gph on their graph for this head pressure. This graph I believe is at 100% power settings.

Thought process was to dial the DC pump back to under 50% to reduce wear/tear and noise. Adding a ball valve to increase head pressure as needed.

Did I make a mistake and get too large of a pump?

Alternatively, I am considering a "T" or manifold off the return to feed a UV. Read this is not a great idea to do with a Herbie overflow as too many fluctuations can be caused by using a manifold.

What are your thoughts?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a DC pump with a controller, put a flow meter on it and dial back to the GPH you want, very smart to have a larger "Controllable" pump, than too small of a pump. Most times people truly under estimate head pressure not considering bulk head reductions and fittings, 90's & 45's. I think this size was a smart choice, just make sure you integrate flow meter so you really know whats flowing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like high flow sumps myself.. but like what was mentioned you can throttle it back if needed! I think it’s perfect.
Thank you.

800 gph is about 4x system turnover through the sump. I am trying to keep thos one as quiet as possible as we have a more open floor plan and the tank will sit in our living room about 10 feet from where we watch TV most evenings.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

800 gph is about 4x system turnover through the sump. I am trying to keep thos one as quiet as possible as we have a more open floor plan and the tank will sit in our living room about 10 feet from where we watch TV most evenings.
With the right drain it will be silent no mater flow rate you have.. I always had a bean animal style and my current tank has a full siphon single drain and you can’t hear a peep!

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for 800 gph flow through tank/sump. Initial estimated head pressure for planned return run is 11 feet. Bought a Sicce SDC 9.0 which shows a rough flow estimate of 1800 gph on their graph for this head pressure. This graph I believe is at 100% power settings.

Thought process was to dial the DC pump back to under 50% to reduce wear/tear and noise. Adding a ball valve to increase head pressure as needed.

Alternatively, I am considering a "T" or manifold off the return to feed a UV. Read this is not a great idea to do with a Herbie overflow as too many fluctuations can be caused by using a manifold.

What are your thoughts?
There’s no way you’ll actually hit the rated Gph at a given head pressure unless you have a straight shot of 1” pipe or spa flex with no elbows. I’d say you’ve made a fine choice and it will be close enough that you can dial it back a bit if needed. Not good to run DC pumps at 100% anyway.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a DC pump with a controller, put a flow meter on it and dial back to the GPH you want, ...
I was planning to use about a foot of 1.25 inch silicone hose to 1 inch pvc then "T" off that to the 2x .75 inch returns in the center overflow box.

Where would you put the flow meter?

On the 1 inch main return line or get 2 of them for the .75 in returns at the bottom of the tank?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to use about a foot of 1.25 inch silicone hose to 1 inch pvc then "T" off that to the 2x .75 inch returns in the center overflow box.

Where would you put the flow meter?

On the 1 inch main return line or get 2 of them for the .75 in returns at the bottom of the tank?
The more accurate ( Still not exact ) I would do 2 at the 3/4" pipe.

What type & brand of flow meter are you thinking of implementing ?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking at the Neptune Systems as it pairs up directly to the Apex I just bought.
Excellent choice, I've been running there 2" version for about a year now and no issues at all. I use it to control UV flow, my meter accurately reports the flow at 1600 gph.
Remember you'll need the FFM Module also.

Last edited:

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my question to them. Product description says it has 3 FMM ports in the base unit. Do I still need the additional module?
Are you buying the FMK kit (flow metering kit) ? Kit comes complete but with qty -2 - 1/2" and qty 1 - 1"
That may not be what you need size wise.

Or just the flow meter ?

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was intending to just buy the meters if they can be connected directly to the Apex head unit or the EB832 that I have.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

What are your thoughts?
You can reduce the flow on these

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see it being a problem, in fact, my eheim isn't even controllable but too large so I put a gate valve on it... it has been working over 7 years without a hiccup and it's silent. Being that yours is controllable, it's even easier.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back