Return and supply

82nd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon tank with a over flow box in the center with four 1"bulkhead in the bottom.My plan is to use two of the 1"bulkheads for a herbie return drain and the other two for the supply back to the display. I'm going to use two syncra sdc 6.0 (530-1450 gph)plumbed separately. I'm not to concerned about head loss the sump is very close.Thoughts? Thanks

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 120, I use three holes for a bean and one for the return. Your suggestion is fine though.

OP
OP

82nd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 120, I use three holes for a bean and one for the return. Your suggestion is
I have a 120 gallon tank with a over flow box in the center with four 1"bulkhead in the bottom.My plan is to use two of the 1"bulkheads for a herbie return drain and the other two for the supply back to the display. I'm going to use two syncra sdc 6.0 (530-1450 gph)plumbed separately. I'm not to concerned about head loss the sump is very close.Thoughts? Thanks
On my 120, I use three holes for a bean and one for the return. Your suggestion is fine though.
Thx you,First time posting and the web can really get u confused.

OP
OP

82nd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you dont see 1" for the supply and return being a problem for both?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the dimensions, but the weir length of the center overflow box will likely limit your flow to something less than what a single 1" supply and 1" full siphon can provide. You can reasonably expect to get 600 gph from a 1" supply. If you want the two returns for redundancy that is fine, but I agree with the earlier comment that a single 1" return is fine for a 4 ft 120 gallon and that would allow you to have a 3 drain Bean.

I am assuming that all four holes are inside the overflow box.

OP
OP

82nd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input I'm going to switch my plan and go with one pump and do the bean.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back