Did I completely screw up?! Please help. (Introducing fish to new tank)

GeorgeH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have just set up my first aquarium. My kid had his heart set on clown fish, it’s something I’ve always wanted to try too so we decide to go for it.

I thought I was doing everything correctly, even bought a RODI filter, but I’m afraid now I may have made a massive mistake.

I was primarily following along these guides on YouTube along with a few others,

And

they seemed very reputable and were doing a step by step guide on setting up an aquarium my sozefor the first time. They both suggested starting the tank with clown fish and adding a nitrifying bacteria with them to cycle right away. I was able to get fritzzyme 9, same as in the one video. Their bottle and website said just like I had seen in the guides that you add fish immediately along with the bacteria and your are good to go, skipping any waiting period. The Amazon reviews were really fantastic as well so I thought it must be a good product and went with it. I followed that added it in along with a pair of small clownfish.

I have two ammonia tests, one little seachem badge that hangs in the tank, as well as the api liquid tests. The seachem badge is showing no ammonia but when I tested using the API kit a few hours after adding the fish it’s showing .5ppm. I panicked and changed about 25% of the water and added more of the fritzzyme 9. Waited about 10 more hours and tested again, seachem still showin 0 on the badge but API showing 0.5. I panicked again and did another water change maybe about 20% and added the last of my fritz after. Then I thought maybe the water changes are the wrong move and I need to give the bacteria time to work as intended and by doing the water change I’m removing it.

After furiously doing more research I see a bunch of other people saying what I did was wrong and I should have done a fully fishless cycle and dosed with ammonia from a bottle. But on the other hand I followed these guides exactly as they said and they had great success with it and used the product just as it said on the website. So I am left just really confused, panicked and lost. I am the type to catch and release mice Vs killing them so the thought of these fish suffering is just making my stomach sick.

I have lots of saltwater made and available, I read that you can’t put too much of the bacteria in and have basically put double what the tank size called for. Did I completely screw up? Were these YouTube videos just shills for the product and it’s not the right way to do things? What should I do to help these fish as much as possible.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia can’t build up in just a couple of hours after adding the fish. The API test is difficult to read. I would trust the badge more.
Jay

OP
OP
G

GeorgeH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I thought the liquid test would be the one to choose over the little badge with but that’s good to know and a relief.

OP
OP
G

GeorgeH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, slow down don’t get alarmed and as @DIFish said no changes.

Welcome to the Reef
Ok thank you, my first time setting this up and I was just panicked seeing the ammonia on the API test. How often should I test setting things up the way I have?

OP
OP
G

GeorgeH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep calm and reef on. And listen to those above me. You're probably fine with the bacteria.
Ok thank you, is there anything I should be on the look out for and prepared for?

I thought fish/reef keeping would be a nice relaxing hobby to unwind after work and I’ve never been more stressed! Haha

OP
OP
G

GeorgeH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to everyone saying don’t get alarmed and stay calm, is the 0.5 reading I’m getting on API a false positive potentially? What testing process should I follow and is there any action I should be taking seeing this reading?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you, is there anything I should be on the look out for and prepared for?

I thought fish/reef keeping would be a nice relaxing hobby to unwind after work and I’ve never been more stressed! Haha
Watching and relaxing comes later after the stressful times, if your lucky ;)

I would definatly trust the badge over an api test. Api salt water tests are known to be inaccurate. I've used the badge several time in qt and hospital tanks and have never lost a fish due to ammonia poisoning.

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You added one of the hardest fish to the tank first which is good. Keep adding bacteria and let nature take it’s course. There’s so many ways to cycle a tank none of them are wrong and plenty of people have successfully done it with fish and bacteria to keep ammonia levels down.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

not to put you off, but keeping a reef tank is actually a difficult hobby, especially if starting out with no experience to knowledge, it takes a lot of research to keep a succesfull reef tank.

I would suggest to please research each fish before buying, many saltwater fish can be incompatible with each other, or have special tank size requirements, or special feeding requirements, etc....

OP
OP
G

GeorgeH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get another bottle of bacteria and dose daily?
The one I had it was only instructed to add the first day
You added one of the hardest fish to the tank first which is good. Keep adding bacteria and let nature take it’s course. There’s so many ways to cycle a tank none of them are wrong and plenty of people have successfully done it with fish and bacteria to keep ammonia levels down.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've added more bacteria than the bottle suggests and have rock and filter media, you're gravy. If the fish stop acting derpy and hang out gasping, then do something. Get a good nitrate test kit, salifert seems to be a popular name, I use hanna but you don't need to spend that much now. If nitrates are present you have a cycle.

Saltwater takes time.

For research, I liked brs's beginner series. And if there is anyone in this thread you can trust it's @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
G

GeorgeH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've added more bacteria than the bottle suggests and have rock and filter media, you're gravy. If the fish stop acting derpy and hang out gasping, then do something. Get a good nitrate test kit, salifert seems to be a popular name, I use hanna but you don't need to spend that much now. If nitrates are present you have a cycle.

Saltwater takes time.

For research, I liked brs's beginner series. And if there is anyone in this thread you can trust it's @Jay Hemdal
What action do I need to take if they hang out gasping? One is super active swimming around and the other just keeps going to the same spot near the bottom and staying there

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What action do I need to take if they hang out gasping? One is super active swimming around and the other just keeps going to the same spot near the bottom and staying there
Normal. Clowns do weird things from time to time and some pick a spot and stick to it.

Abarge16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish do alot of weird stuff. My go to is if im concerned ill turn off pumps and drop a pellet or two in to see what the deal is 99% of the time the moment the pumps come off the clowns are at the surface poking their heads out of the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back