Did I cross-contaminate my phyto culture?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of confused right now. So I culture 2-2 liter cultures of tetra and 2-2 liter cultures of nanno. One of my nanno cultures almost crashed so i moved it to a new sterile bottle and gave it a little more fertilizer because it was yellowing and I thought it might’ve consumed all of what I gave it. Within a day it was significantly less yellow and then the next day it was darker then my other nanno culture right next to it. Not as dark as my tetra cultures run though. Is it possible that tetra got in and is overtaking the nanno or could it be the addition of needed fertilizer allowed them to become more dense, hence becoming more green then the other one.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you would recall sharing equipment between the two cultures if cross-contamination occured. Probably just the extra fertilizer caused a big growth.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you would recall sharing equipment between the two cultures if cross-contamination occured. Probably just the extra fertilizer caused a big growth.
I guess more just paranoia because at some point (I can’t remember what for) I took the rigid tubing out of the tetra and the air was still on so it shot out a tiny bit of the culture and the nano is right next to it. But they’re also all closed up super tight except for a slightly oversized hole to allow air to escape

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back