Culture VS OfferUp. Which is cheaper?

person

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On offer up i have found 2 liter bottles of phyto for 15 bucks each. Would it be cheaper to just culture my own phyto or should i buy it. And if it is cheaper, about how long will it take to make back the investment

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy it
its easier

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it incredibly easy and cheap to culture my own but I also had most of the parts already just laying around. I used large half gallon mason jars, small two port air pump, and a t5 grow light I use for plants in the spring. Only needed to buy the f2 fertilizer and bottle of phyto. If you had to buy all of that equipment, imo, buying bottles would be cheaper and easier. I guess it depends how much you use but I would imagine it would take the average person quite a while before making the investment for all that gear worthwhile.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it incredibly easy and cheap to culture my own but I also had most of the parts already just laying around. I used large half gallon mason jars, small two port air pump, and a t5 grow light I use for plants in the spring. Only needed to buy the f2 fertilizer and bottle of phyto. If you had to buy all of that equipment, imo, buying bottles would be cheaper and easier. I guess it depends how much you use but I would imagine it would take the average person quite a while before making the investment for all that gear.

Excellent answer. If I dosed phytoplankton, I would just buy it, I work a lot and have limited free time, so even with the parts laying around, it just wouldn't be worth it. But if you felt like making the time and materoal investment it could save you a little money. I have enough projects on my list. I still need to switch out the light on my wife's biocube, and I have 2 tanks I bought and haven't set up yet. I would say culture it if it's something you would enjoy tinkering with, otherwise buy it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back