Did I fry my EB 832 doing an update?

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try and update to the EB through fusion and it seemed to complete. So then I started trying to setup my VDM for my icecap gyre and noticed the EB wasn’t displaying the watts. Looked at it and all outlets were not lit up and the symbol was a green/orange color. But all equipment is still functioning as if nothing is wrong.

Just now starting wire management so don’t mind that.

48B61BB0-735F-4BD4-A682-5D85A66AB8BA.jpeg

A50DA634-DC72-477C-B39B-D5653BAFE16F.jpeg

100ED979-F81F-49F5-9564-585438B3E28E.png

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a controller guru but ime when there is a gui error in a program a soft reboot might cause the program to attempt to finish a previous download if it aborted prematurely

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to unplug and plug back in. Kinda ticked off. My VDM they had to replace because the original was DOA. I’m about ready to put fish in and want this stuff working.

Broton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to replace my EB832. It was brand new out of the box - and had the same red exclamation point yours does. Mine did light up the LED's but none of the relays ever worked.

Thankfully I live locally and was able to drive to them and they replaced it on the spot.

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly this is BS. They appear to have some quality control issues. And to fry the thing doing an update is frustrating beyond belief. Thought I was buying a stable and complete system.

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears the update failed during the process. There is a way to force upset that I will try when I get home and then talk to them.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to hear that you're having this issue. :(

Sounds like you've got a plan to troubleshoot this.
First thing I'd do is remove all the module and output cords, so it's just the EB connected to the brain.
Check the yellow button on the back of the EB, make sure it's depressed all the way, although it's probably ok.
If you can access the EB in Fusion, then try the firmware update again.
If that succeeds and all looks good then, start reattaching modules and outputs, one at a time.
Of course definitely submit a ticket to Neptune if at any time you aren't comfortable proceeding.

I keep a spare EB832 at home. Although they are expensive, they're just too important not to have a backup.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooooo Smart Randy!!!

Not necessarily smart, Steve, just paranoid and constantly thinking of what could go wrong with my tanks. :eek:
Yes it sometimes keeps me awake at night. :confused:
And I keep backups of almost everything except the tank itself. :D

I damaged an EB832 once myself. That one was on me though.
So glad I had a spare at home that day. But I still had to recode a lot of the outlets.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of extra modules. Extra Cor20. An Extra Eb832 should be in my storage container honestly.

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the update failed during the process. I’m sharing what they sent me to force the update in case other search and have same issue.

85906C1A-FBA5-4FF9-A5C3-416F1A4AD357.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to hear that you're having this issue. :(

Sounds like you've got a plan to troubleshoot this.
First thing I'd do is remove all the module and output cords, so it's just the EB connected to the brain.
Check the yellow button on the back of the EB, make sure it's depressed all the way, although it's probably ok.
If you can access the EB in Fusion, then try the firmware update again.
If that succeeds and all looks good then, start reattaching modules and outputs, one at a time.
Of course definitely submit a ticket to Neptune if at any time you aren't comfortable proceeding.

I keep a spare EB832 at home. Although they are expensive, they're just too important not to have a backup.

Thanks man. I was freaking out last night. Everything going fine and ready for fish and then this. Luckily easy fix but wish I knew last night.

I posted solution below. Must be bad luck. The VDM I bought was DOA and the icecap interface module was flashed for a 3k gyre and not the 1K I have so that needs to be replaced.

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yeah I’ll eventually have an extra EB but I need a second because I’m out of outlets so I need 2 more. Gonna be a bit before that happens.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the update failed during the process. I’m sharing what they sent me to force the update in case other search and have same issue.

You know, I've seen that forced update process used before with previous older Apex models that were malfunctioning, but not with an EB832. Good to know that it is effective here too!

And yeah I’ll eventually have an extra EB but I need a second because I’m out of outlets so I need 2 more. Gonna be a bit before that happens.

You probably already know this, but to free up those valuable programmable outlets, you can move any devices that don't need programmed control to an ordinary power strip.
Also, if you have multiple devices that could run from one outlet, like a set of lights for example, you can use a splitter cord to plug them all into the same outlet.
And, if you think you might just need a couple more outlets, I'd recommend the EB4.
Less expensive, works with the current Apex, all mechanical relays, and one of its outlets can handle a massive 12A, higher than the other EBs.

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably already know this, but to free up those valuable programmable outlets, you can move any devices that don't need programmed control to an ordinary power strip.
Also, if you have multiple devices that could run from one outlet, like a set of lights for example, you can use a splitter cord to plug them all into the same outlet.
And, if you think you might just need a couple more outlets, I'd recommend the EB4.
Less expensive, works with the current Apex, all mechanical relays, and one of its outlets can handle a massive 12A, higher than the other EBs.

Yeah I know but would like most everything programmed with apex even for feeding. I’ll check on the EB4, thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back