Did I mess up my ph probe by calibrating it?

Silly clownfish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
182
Reaction score
143
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t fix what isn’t broken! My ph probe is at least 5 years old and hadn’t been calibrated in probably a couple of years. obviously I don’t chase numbers and my apex is mainly for watching things when I travel. Anyhow, I read something recently about calibrating every few months, so decided it wouldn’t hurt.

Prior to calibration, I had pretty, smooth charts with a nice sine wave varying from about 8.0 to 8.3. Calibration shifted my instantaneous value by about 0.04 - not enough for me to care and I suspect within the margin of error for a probe.

A day or so after calibration, I noticed that although my tank was staying in the same range, my once smooth, pretty graph is now jagged, with little .01-0.02 bounces. Not enough for me to be concerned, and as long as the tank looks good, I am happy. But I wonder - could calibrating it have messed up something with the probe? Is this normal?

Yeah, I know I should probably get a new probe, and will ask for one for Christmas and stick it in the empty spot on my apex, so rally just curious.
 
Working in a lab we used to calibrate every 12 hours. You do get drift, but I don't know how apex calibrates... is it 1 point or 2?
 
Calibration does not change the probe. It changes the device attached to it.

It may need cleaning, but the bumps you note are very small and not unusual.
 
Thanks. I figured it shouldn’t have broken anything. I was surprised that the value at the time I did the calibration was so close and that it really hadn’t had drift with not being calibrated in years. It seems most people would have replaced it a couple of times by now.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new