Did I screw up gluing this bulkhead?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the ABS melted and seeped out. Is that normal?

F63AE8A2-E467-4EC2-9EE9-AB559D78228F.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you "glue" plastic pipe, your not actually gluing them. Your actually welding them together. The glue actually melts the plastic a small bit so the parts weld together. Normally when the joint is pushed together, You wouldn't see the melted bit.

That bulkhead may have sealed, but I'm going to guess your going to have to replace it.

Also ABS glue is different then PVC glue. Did you use glue designed for both? They do make it, usually it's in the same isle as the regular PVC glue and cleaner.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you "glue" plastic pipe, your not actually gluing them. Your actually welding them together. The glue actually melts the plastic a small bit so the parts weld together. Normally when the joint is pushed together, You wouldn't see the melted bit.

That bulkhead may have sealed, but I'm going to guess your going to have to replace it.

Also ABS glue is different then PVC glue. Did you use glue designed for both? They do make it, usually it's in the same isle as the regular PVC glue and cleaner.
I just used the PVC glue. Further research says it should be fine but I don’t like the word should lol. I checked my holes and they’re big enough for pvc bulkheads so I ordered those. I’d rather do that than take chances.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the PVC glue. Further research says it should be fine but I don’t like the word should lol. I checked my holes and they’re big enough for pvc bulkheads so I ordered those. I’d rather do that than take chances.
Well at least you know what fits in there

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I tried it and no leak. I only held for a couple of minutes but seemed fine. In a couple of days I’ll see if I can manually rip it apart, just for kicks.

the more I read though, it’s worth it to do the PVC bulkheads since the tank is drilled for it. They should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the inside of pvc fittings have a slight taper to them so they get tighter as you push the pipe all the way into them...thats why you cant really get a pipe to bottom out inside a fitting when you dry-fit them...when you glue a joint you need to hold it together for a bit till the glue starts to set...otherwise the wet glue is slippery enough to allow the joint to slide back apart and potentially leak...so aside from looking like an amateur did it you should be ok since its a drain and not under pressure....if it was for your shower i'd definately do it over

Last edited:
OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you glue a joint you need to hold it together for a bit till the glue starts to set...otherwise the wet glue is slippery enough to allow the joint to slide back apart and potentially leak...so aside from looking like an amateur did it you should be ok since its a drain and not under pressure
I did hold them together. This is NOT that it pushed back out.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you look inside and verify that the pipe is all the way bottomed out in the fitting the only other explanation is that since ABS is a softer plastic than pvc (thats why you cant use primer with it) its possible using regular pvc glue rather than stuff thats made for either may have dissolved the ABS into the glue and allowed it to flow down the pipe...seems strange that its such a distinct and even line

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you look inside and verify that the pipe is all the way bottomed out in the fitting the only other explanation is that since ABS is a softer plastic than pvc (thats why you cant use primer with it) its possible using regular pvc glue rather than stuff thats made for either may have dissolved the ABS into the glue and allowed it to flow down the pipe...seems strange that its such a distinct and even line
Yes, it’s definitely fully seated. I did the other side of the bulkhead too with the same result. I didn’t expect it to do that!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back