Super gluing bulkhead on an acrylic tank you don't mind trashing in a few years?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag tank (plumbed into the main system) has plumbing that is completely unreachable without removing ALL plumbing, draining the tank, moving the tank out of its corner, replacing the bulkhead, and then finally redoing all the plumbing.

One of the overflow bulkheads (#3: emergency) has a very subtle leak. I was able to twist myself into a pretzel in order to finger tighten it, and that took care of the problem but not 100% (more like 90%) and I'm considering just super-gluing it to the acrylic tank. (in the overflow once its dry)

From what I understand, the only reason not to glue bulkheads is because removing them in the future become a MAJOR, if not impossible, chore. At this point, I'm okay with trashing the tank when I eventually break the system down... but I'm wondering if there are other pitfalls that I'm not thinking about that could eventually bite me in the butt?

Thoughts?

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the superglue would actually fix the leak. The rubber gasket is supposed to compress a bit and that pressure seals the hole.

The glue dries solid and doesn't have a perfect seal with all materials. So I don't think it'll fix the leak. I think it'll ruin the bulkhead and you have a much harder time fixing all of this.

From experience, it's best to fix it correctly.

Try tightening a little more with a bulkhead wrench or pliers. Don't overtighten though as it can break the tank or bulkhead.

If that doesn't work, and you do need to take things apart, make sure to add unions where you may need to take it apart again in the future to make life easy.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, I feel your pain. Lol so what I would do and have, is to stop the return pump thus emptying the overflow of water. Take out the plumbing and bulkhead. Replace the bulkhead gasket with a new one. Put everything back in the overflow. “Silicone” the bulkhead nut, just the part that touches the glass. Not the sides. Hand tighten. I usually take a wrench and add just a little more. Like an 1/8” more. That will not only seal it but keep it from twisting off. Believe me it happens. The silicone will prevent this. If you ever have to take the bulkhead off, there’s just a paper thin silicone seal between the nut and glass that should be no problem. Good luck.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the leak is super small, I have had success in the past putting some silicone around the gaskets.

Ideally you'd be able to drain the frag tank or seal off the gasket so water wasn't leaking as the silicone cures.

I haven't tried superglue and probably wouldn't consider it an option myself.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use silicone on a bulkhead, I hand tighten and wait at least a day later and snug it up.
I realize you might not have this luxury, good luck.

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the superglue would actually fix the leak. The rubber gasket is supposed to compress a bit and that pressure seals the hole.

The glue dries solid and doesn't have a perfect seal with all materials. So I don't think it'll fix the leak. I think it'll ruin the bulkhead and you have a much harder time fixing all of this.

From experience, it's best to fix it correctly.

Try tightening a little more with a bulkhead wrench or pliers. Don't overtighten though as it can break the tank or bulkhead.

If that doesn't work, and you do need to take things apart, make sure to add unions where you may need to take it apart again in the future to make life easy.

I can't use wrench or pliers. Its barely reachable with fingers let alone my whole hand. Certainly no tools. :(

I don't know how I would even dismantle it all to be honest. I definitely can't get a PVC cutter in there.

ugh... what a day.

Last edited:

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way you could sneak a rubber exercise band around the nut and maybe tighten it that way?

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of what you're working with so we can give better advice?

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_0205.png
    IMG_0205.png
    319.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0204.png
    IMG_0204.png
    319 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0203.png
    IMG_0203.png
    444.1 KB · Views: 29

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had luck putting a pipe into bulkhead, long enough to stick out the top of tank(actual overflow pipe may work) and turning that clockwise( hoping there's enough friction to grip enough to tighten the nut. May seem to be slipping but it should catch...

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had luck putting a pipe into bulkhead, long enough to stick out the top of tank(actual overflow pipe may work) and turning that clockwise( hoping there's enough friction to grip enough to tighten the nut. May seem to be slipping but it should catch...
Nevermind, that looks glued already

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of what you're working with so we can give better advice?
The red line can't be pulled down because of the blue lines. Even if I remove the blue lines I can't cut the red line without pulling the entire tank out. here is an old image without the plumbing if that helps:

IMG_3760.JPG

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but I would pull it out...
I would put unions on each of the elbows underneath to make it easier in the future.

Sorry I don't have easier advice...

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but I would pull it out...
I would put unions on each of the elbows underneath to make it easier in the future.

Sorry I don't have easier advice...
All good. I had a feeling that I'd need to drain and pull the tank out. Not sure i have the patience to do so lol... but we shall see. :)

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't use wrench or pliers. Its barely reachable with fingers let alone my whole hand. Certainly no tools. :(

I don't know how I would even dismantle it all to be honest. I definitely can't get a PVC cutter in there.

ugh... what a day.
I had something similar going on and used a bit of silicone. Worked like a charm. Good luck!

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar going on and used a bit of silicone. Worked like a charm. Good luck!
I'd use silicone if I had the space to actually move a calk-gun around... I suppose I could use my finger lol.

My choices seem to boil down to pouring super-glue around the bulkhead within the overflow, or tearing all the plumbing out so I then pull the tank out and do it "properly."

I'm lazy... so I'm def leaning in one direction lol

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use silicone if I had the space to actually move a calk-gun around... I suppose I could use my finger lol.

My choices seem to boil down to pouring super-glue around the bulkhead within the overflow, or tearing all the plumbing out so I then pull the tank out and do it "properly."

I'm lazy... so I'm def leaning in one direction lol
I used my finger. I wonder whether aquarium acrylic might work. I’ve used that to stop slow leaks as well. I’m not very handy :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: but I like to tinker so I tend to get “creative” with my solutions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My frag tank (plumbed into the main system) has plumbing that is completely unreachable without removing ALL plumbing, draining the tank, moving the tank out of its corner, replacing the bulkhead, and then finally redoing all the plumbing.

One of the overflow bulkheads (#3: emergency) has a very subtle leak. I was able to twist myself into a pretzel in order to finger tighten it, and that took care of the problem but not 100% (more like 90%) and I'm considering just super-gluing it to the acrylic tank. (in the overflow once its dry)

From what I understand, the only reason not to glue bulkheads is because removing them in the future become a MAJOR, if not impossible, chore. At this point, I'm okay with trashing the tank when I eventually break the system down... but I'm wondering if there are other pitfalls that I'm not thinking about that could eventually bite me in the butt?

Thoughts?
While not a standard practice, I always apply a bead of silicone sealant on both surfaces of bulkhead. Never have leaks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back