Plumbing on used tank making me nervous

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspended detritus, overflows and potential stockings. Ina fallow rn so makes sense to do these things now +TLDR. Pics are at bottom of post

TLDR: how do I turn my tank into a Herbie style overflow when my used setup is setup weird?

Why isn't my tank clear? More flow? Magnificent fox face or humu humu trigger?
I am writing about my 2nd hand 5ft 130g tank.

The original owner used soft tubing and made the overflow a durso when I could have a herbie. The overflow has room for 2 holes on the left and right sides of the tank. I would need to get new bulkheads and remove the soft tubing plumbing. I attached a video of how my sump looks. My overflow box has the durso stand pipe but the second hole where the emergency drain would go on a herbie is my return line for the left side.

My right side of the tank has the same setup. In the video you can see my return line which is the upside down "T" this is on the far right side of the sump obv but one side of the return nozzles in the DT goes faster than the other one which is concerning. How would I go about turning this into a herbie without crashing my system?

I'm willing to hard plumbing my return lines into the display but my tank is eurobraced so there's another challenge. I don't know much about how to do plumbing on a reef tank. I get kinda nervous about my sump because of the soft tubing and that one day it will all come crashing downs. I can make a secondary post with more information if needed

Onto the other 2 things. Suspended particles and stocking. I've had the tank for 3 months and upon setup I added 2in of Fiji pink sand. My water never seems to become crystal clear even though I run 100 micron socks and a 24w UV sterilizer (green killing machine). I also run both my Nero 5s at 100% and it doesn't seem to do much of anything. Filter floss is also in between my fuge and return pump sections too. Is it because I have a durso and not a herbie?there's only inverts and corals so no way them being in there would do anything. My parameters look normal for an LPS/ Softie tank.

Stocking I really want to do a humu humu Picasso trigger. I'm mainly into the fish and equipment.

Not so much the coral but my father who l'm in the hobby with is. It's not going to be a "predator tank" I just want a Picasso as my centerpiece fish. If not l'll do a magnificent fox face.
IMG_2789.jpeg
IMG_2788.jpeg
IMG_2787.jpeg

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
With a used tank you might want to consider replacing the bulkheads and plumbing. The picture you show looks like that they have at least been leaking, hense the salt crust on the bulkheads.
It is possible you have too much flow in the tank that keeps the sand stirred up? But if its a new tank that typically clears up within a week.

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a used tank you might want to consider replacing the bulkheads and plumbing. The picture you show looks like that they have at least been leaking, hense the salt crust on the bulkheads.
It is possible you have too much flow in the tank that keeps the sand stirred up? But if its a new tank that typically clears up within a week.
Yeah that salt on the 3rd pic is a bit sketchy. I’m willing to 100% re do the plumbing. I just have to learn how to do it but my return lines will be an issue because of the euro bracing

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Plumbing on used tank making me nervous​

Okay, fixed that (for me). Used stuff is always a gamble for me as I don't know the care, conditioning, and maintenance it saw in its past life (or lives!). That said, the prices are much more manageable. I would always feel more comfortable updating/redoing the plumbing if time and budget allow, but in any case I hope once you get this up and going that it works well for you.

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible you have too much flow in the tank that keeps the sand stirred up? But if it’s a new tank that typically clears up within a week.
Yeah I plan to replace the bulkheads and plumbing but I don’t have too much flow in the tank as the sand isn’t being blown around. I’ve had it for 3 months now

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Plumbing on used tank making me nervous​

Okay, fixed that (for me). Used stuff is always a gamble for me as I don't know the care, conditioning, and maintenance it saw in its past life (or lives!). That said, the prices are much more manageable. I would always feel more comfortable updating/redoing the plumbing if time and budget allow, but in any case I hope once you get this up and going that it works well for you.
Yeah it surely is a gamble lol. I got a 5ft 130g with at least 4.5K of livestock and equipment for only 1.5K+Labor lol. I also scored 2 G4 pro xr30 radions and 2 Nero 5s!

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the bulkhead was not sealed properly w/ that level of salt creep and eventually sealed w/ the salt. I would definitely replace that and opt. for hard plumbing. The vinyl looks pretty old but I would have been more concerned that they didnt even get the hose on the barb completly (probably didnt soften the tubing first).
If you water is cloudy could be bacterial bloom but if it is like that w/ UV you may be overfeeding.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspended detritus, overflows and potential stockings. Ina fallow rn so makes sense to do these things now +TLDR. Pics are at bottom of post

TLDR: how do I turn my tank into a Herbie style overflow when my used setup is setup weird?

The original owner used soft tubing and made the overflow a durso when I could have a herbie. The overflow has room for 2 holes on the left and right sides of the tank. I would need to get new bulkheads and remove the soft tubing plumbing. I attached a video of how my sump looks. My overflow box has the durso stand pipe but the second hole where the emergency drain would go on a herbie is my return line for the left side.

My right side of the tank has the same setup. In the video you can see my return line which is the upside down "T" this is on the far right side of the sump obv but one side of the return nozzles in the DT goes faster than the other one which is concerning. How would I go about turning this into a herbie without crashing my system?

I'm willing to hard plumbing my return lines into the display but my tank is eurobraced so there's another challenge. I don't know much about how to do plumbing on a reef tank. I get kinda nervous about my sump because of the soft tubing and that one day it will all come crashing downs. I can make a secondary post with more information if needed

Onto the other 2 things. Suspended particles and stocking. I've had the tank for 3 months and upon setup I added 2in of Fiji pink sand. My water never seems to become crystal clear even though I run 100 micron socks and a 24w UV sterilizer (green killing machine). I also run both my Nero 5s at 100% and it doesn't seem to do much of anything. Filter floss is also in between my fuge and return pump sections too. Is it because I have a durso and not a herbie?there's only inverts and corals so no way them being in there would do anything. My parameters look normal for an LPS/ Softie tank.

Stocking I really want to do a humu humu Picasso trigger. I'm mainly into the fish and equipment.

Not so much the coral but my father who l'm in the hobby with is. It's not going to be a "predator tank" I just want a Picasso as my centerpiece fish. If not l'll do a magnificent fox face.
IMG_2789.jpeg
IMG_2788.jpeg
IMG_2787.jpeg
Easy to turn that to a herbie.
Personally I would only replace the salt creeped bulkhead.

The smaller lines will be the full syphone, the larger open channels.

Open channel lines will be about 1/2" below the weir. Full syphone lines will be about 6" below that.

Don't glue them in(inside the bulkhead). Hopefully the previous owner didn't either or you will have to replace all of it.

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy to turn that to a herbie.
Personally I would only replace the salt creeped bulkhead.

The smaller lines will be the full syphone, the larger open channels.

Open channel lines will be about 1/2" below the weir. Full syphone lines will be about 6" below that.

Don't glue them in(inside the bulkhead). Hopefully the previous owner didn't either or you will have to replace all of it.
Yeah figured I could turn it into a herbie. Big bulkheadb will be my emergency and the small will be the actual drain part. I kinda have an ide of how it would look. I’m going to use unions for easy removal of plumbing. I will need to take my sump out of the cabinet and my ATO reservoir. Which will be difficult to do+keep my livestock alive. I can’t take everything out and put in a bucket so I’ll keep everything in the DT +my heater and airstones. How would I do the returns with my euro racing in the way?

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the bulkhead was not sealed properly w/ that level of salt creep and eventually sealed w/ the salt. I would definitely replace that and opt. for hard plumbing. The vinyl looks pretty old but I would have been more concerned that they didnt even get the hose on the barb completly (probably didnt soften the tubing first).
If you water is cloudy could be bacterial bloom but if it is like that w/ UV you may be overfeeding.
How long do you think I have? It’s worked for the previous owner for 3 years and worked for my for 3mo so far. I likely am over feeding and will adjust. I just need a way to plumb the returns because of my euro bracing. It’s rimmed but It also has eurobracing. Original owner pretty much got it used too because the store he got it from sent it to back to the manufacturer to get new seals+eurobracing before purchase. For all I know I have a 2 times used tank. I may hire someone to do it for me so it’s not my fault if things go wrong lolz

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it surely is a gamble lol. I got a 5ft 130g with at least 4.5K of livestock and equipment for only 1.5K+Labor lol. I also scored 2 G4 pro xr30 radions and 2 Nero 5s!
Sometimes the gamble pays off, LOL! I would not have been able to turn that down, either. Happy reefing.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you think I have? It’s worked for the previous owner for 3 years and worked for my for 3mo so far. I likely am over feeding and will adjust. I just need a way to plumb the returns because of my euro bracing. It’s rimmed but It also has eurobracing. Original owner pretty much got it used too because the store he got it from sent it to back to the manufacturer to get new seals+eurobracing before purchase. For all I know I have a 2 times used tank. I may hire someone to do it for me so it’s not my fault if things go wrong lolz
What do you mean how long do you have? The Vinal plumbing?
Mine is 10 years.

20240127_132547.jpg
And the return make from (3) 90° pipe. 2 of them will make the "u" and the third to shoot into the aquarium. 20220111_160546.jpg

Last edited:

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vinyl wont fail unless you mess with it as it gets brittle over time. The bulkhead wont fail it just had a slow leak early on that was likely sealed with salt. I believe you mentioned wanting to redo the drains. Looks like you have 4 holes total and you are asking about herbie and durso. So you likely would only get away with doing one overflow box with a herbie drain making one full siphon and other Durso and other box one Durso and the other hole a return.
In al honesty personally I would just us the 2 3/4" (what is appears like ) as returns and use the 2 1" (cannot tell could be 1.5" ) as drains. Unless you are really aggressive with the return you will be fine.

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vinyl wont fail unless you mess with it as it gets brittle over time. The bulkhead wont fail it just had a slow leak early on that was likely sealed with salt. I believe you mentioned wanting to redo the drains. Looks like you have 4 holes total and you are asking about herbie and durso. So you likely would only get away with doing one overflow box with a herbie drain making one full siphon and other Durso and other box one Durso and the other hole a return.
In al honesty personally I would just us the 2 3/4" (what is appears like ) as returns and use the 2 1" (cannot tell could be 1.5" ) as drains. Unless you are really aggressive with the return you will be fine.
How would I not be able to plumb both overflows into a herbie style? What if I connect both drains so that I can split them into two filter socks and make the emergency drains into my first sump compartment?

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2797.jpeg

IMG_2789.jpeg
IMG_2788.jpeg
IMG_2787.jpeg

IMG_2798.jpeg
IMG_2799.jpeg
IMG_2797.jpeg
So here is the pics of my overflow. It’s the same on the other side of the tank

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2789.jpeg
IMG_2788.jpeg
IMG_2787.jpeg
IMG_2797.jpeg

IMG_2798.jpeg
IMG_2799.jpeg
Pics of my overlfow style. It’s the same on the other side of the tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back