Best reef ready tank deal of 2024 - whose looking for a new tank?

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom lid for the display tank

Just message seller from that listing and tell them your friend told you he can make a lid for this tank for around 100$ and give him a tank pic.

For custom media cups, my man Dylan can help with that. He’s a forum member also

Here’s a link to the propagation frag shelf I invented and he made for me, you can use this to get to his store and message him there

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump layout V1

Referring to my labeled picture in the poll, we have 4 sections to work with A B C D

81B5F7BC-F168-44CC-A1CD-CDD14BA6387D.jpeg

Here’s what I’m thinking.

A)
Heater - either horizontal or vertical. I’m leaning towards horizontal on the bottom. Yes it’s a PITA because it’s so narrow, I can’t reach my hand down there, but why would I need to? If I need to remove the heater I will lift it out by the cord. Also I’m more of a fan of having heaters horizontal if possible so all the heat radiates off evenly across the whole depth of the chamber. If it’s vertical then water will be hotter closest to the heater and cooler farther away. Finally if there as to be a sump leak, the heater would be at the lowest point preventing exposure to air as long as possible
968831C3-20FE-484F-BD33-473AF982EFE1.jpeg

B)
Socks or custom media cups with matrix, purifen, and ? Not sure about the third. Maybe two purigen packs that I stagger the replacement of ? Or a media cup filled with rock rubble?

At the bottom of B I will lay biomedia diagonally. The biomedia bricks I have sent rectangular, and have a hollow channel. I thought a lot about how to actually force water through the channel, to not allow detritus, or resting stagnant water. With this layout all the water is coming downward and would be forced both around, AND through the media blocks
BE52F7B3-5F7B-45B0-9A06-26EB9D983507.jpeg

A8152E4F-8411-47EE-85F5-E7A99DD1BB53.jpeg

And at the exit, the glad doesn’t interfere with the water coming out the holes. 32EE1D43-FF53-4634-9F55-62CD7F212095.jpeg

C
Skimmer, algae scrubber. Thinking about the surf 2 or the rain. Should still have plenty of room for live rock or I could leave the space open
B9E6BD6A-32C9-4B02-9DC5-57468F38B289.jpeg

8AD1406B-278E-4A2C-9ED0-85046AD2400B.jpeg

D
Return pump and ato float
BA485ED9-6A82-4D78-8914-D203FB940D8C.jpeg

Thoughts ? Suggestions?

JdubC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not experienced here, but my thoughts/questions are:

A) Your rationale for horizontal makes sense.

Questions: Are you using a probe/controller for heater? If so, where will the probe go? My understanding is that it’s good practice to place the probe before the heater so it measures the water temp before the heater. I am planning to use an inkbird with two hygger 500w for redundancy, so would need to place probes in A and heaters elsewhere (B or C).

B) I absolutely love the biomedia sticks and how they lay at the bottom to force flow through them. I am thinking I will mimic (steal) that idea.

Thought: If I do need to put my heaters in B (so probes are in A), then I might just use only two or one media cups to make space. I was planning to lay a filter pad over the cups anyway as my only “mechanical” filtration.

C) makes sense to me. I am planning to try a Fuge only, with rock and/or biomedia. Want Fuge for export and pods.

D) not much to say there. I was convinced that there was only one way to run float valve since chamber is too small to run it perpendicular. But am now realizing, based on your pics, that I can simply spin the float while keeping the brace on the side baffle. Seems obvious now, but thanks for the pic!

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not experienced here, but my thoughts/questions are:

A) Your rationale for horizontal makes sense.

Questions: Are you using a probe/controller for heater? If so, where will the probe go? My understanding is that it’s good practice to place the probe before the heater so it measures the water temp before the heater. I am planning to use an inkbird with two hygger 500w for redundancy, so would need to place probes in A and heaters elsewhere (B or C).

B) I absolutely love the biomedia sticks and how they lay at the bottom to force flow through them. I am thinking I will mimic (steal) that idea.

Thought: If I do need to put my heaters in B (so probes are in A), then I might just use only two or one media cups to make space. I was planning to lay a filter pad over the cups anyway as my only “mechanical” filtration.

C) makes sense to me. I am planning to try a Fuge only, with rock and/or biomedia. Want Fuge for export and pods.

D) not much to say there. I was convinced that there was only one way to run float valve since chamber is too small to run it perpendicular. But am now realizing, based on your pics, that I can simply spin the float while keeping the brace on the side baffle. Seems obvious now, but thanks for the pic!

A - I am using a controller and intend to put my remote sensor in D. This way I know the temp of water right before it goes into the display. I run this way currently. There is a drawback to having he sensor in any other chamber than the one with the heater, and it happened today to me on my main tank

With sensor in D and heater anywhere else….if I kill power to my return pump all flow through the sump stops. Gradually the small volume in d decreases. The controller thinks the heater needs to come on and activates the heater. The chamber with the heater starts increasing infinitely, as there is no probe in that section. When you activate the return pump the hot water then flows through the sump, raising temp in all chambers. Then the probe detects it and sets off the audible alarms and shows 90 degrees lol. Literally this happened to me this morning.

But, I kick up the return to 100% and flush out with 77 display water fast. If heater was in fuge compartment and probe is upstream, downstream, anywhere else, you cook your fuge while you work + while you correct the situation.

I figure A has the smallest volume to heat and would be easiest and fastest to cool down.
Wow. Sorry. That was a lot.

B
Big complaint on these is that they can build up detritus and water doesn’t naturally flow through them. I looked all over and tried different compartments and these fit perfectly diagonal ( slightly too large to be flat anyway) and the downward water force will naturally flow through and around (do not stack side by side, leave gaps like I did ) and into the middle chamber

C - yup!

D - you’re welcome! I didn’t test this but I see no issue

FishingMachine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post...long time lurker!

Just ordered one of these tanks and super stoked! Got a message that it should be delivered next week.

This will be an upgrade to my 36 gallon bowfront. I probably won't get it running until June (too much going on right now) but hoping to do a build thread.

JdubC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just ordered one of these tanks and super stoked! Got a message that it should be delivered next week.

This will be an upgrade to my 36 gallon bowfront. I probably won't get it running until June (too much going on right now) but hoping to do a build thread.
Welcome to the club!

Looking forward to seeing how you approach it and learning with you.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Congrats and welcome! You’re going to love it! I also need to wait to set it up but couldn’t pass this up!

FYI it’s curb side delivery on a pallet (I didn’t know) so be prepared to get it in the house somehow.

What was everyone’s delivery experience like? I have a long, but flat, gradual incline driveway and the dude wants to leave it at the street. I told him I was told garage delivery and he insisted curbside.

I have in writing I was told garage delivery, he said his shipping service is curbside only. I told him I would refuse delivery if not garage, and don’t have the ability to get it in my house alone. And it’s a glass aquarium and if I refuse delivery and it’s damaged, he’s responsible.

I ended up getting it delivered into my garage…he was more than helpful and didn’t want to be liable once he found out what it was

FishingMachine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and welcome! You’re going to love it! I also need to wait to set it up but couldn’t pass this up!

FYI it’s curb side delivery on a pallet (I didn’t know) so be prepared to get it in the house somehow.

What was everyone’s delivery experience like? I have a long, but flat, gradual incline driveway and the dude wants to leave it at the street. I told him I was told garage delivery and he insisted curbside.

I have in writing I was told garage delivery, he said his shipping service is curbside only. I told him I would refuse delivery if not garage, and don’t have the ability to get it in my house alone. And it’s a glass aquarium and if I refuse delivery and it’s damaged, he’s responsible.

I ended up getting it delivered into my garage…he was more than helpful and didn’t want to be liable once he found out what it was
Good to know. I have a pretty short driveway, so hopefully they won't mind just shoving it up in my garage with their pallet jack.

JdubC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did mention a garage delivery to the seller and this is what they said:

“We could book "inside delivery" but the Carrier will charge $70-100 extra for that service which we would have to pass on to you.”

However, when the freight company called to setup delivery they were willing to just do it. When it arrived, the driver pulled it right up and into the garage. My garage is also quite steep. But wasn’t an issue.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conversation with the seller went back and forth for a month before I decided they are legit, and it’s not a scam, and I ordered the tank. Early on I asked about garage delivery and was told it’s not a problem.

When the delivery came I contacted the seller and they told me it’s curbside delivery. I explained I was told garage delivery was included, and they apologized and told me they thought I would have help to get it in from the curb. It wasn’t really a direct reply to what I said, nor an acknowledgment. At that point the driver was calling me and backing up my driveway and I let it go as it became a non-issue.

I believe they forgot I needed garage delivery, because that was a brief part of our convo a month earlier and wasn’t mentioned again by either of us, and then they didn’t pay for it.

Lesson for new buyers - prepare for curb delivery or ask for garage delivery - it’s about 60-80$ to get garage delivery

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was the third time I changed filter socks and I don't know if it because of practice but they went in much easier than the last two times. Also I contacted the lid guy (Logan)on Etsy and he said he'd love to make a custom lid, I sent him pictures with measurements but haven't heard anything back.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom lid for the display tank

Just message seller from that listing and tell them your friend told you he can make a lid for this tank for around 100$ and give him a tank pic.

For custom media cups, my man Dylan can help with that. He’s a forum member also

Here’s a link to the propagation frag shelf I invented and he made for me, you can use this to get to his store and message him there

Have you heard anything from the Etsy lid maker? I still haven't heard anything back from him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back