Did music die?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love music from the 70’s 80’s 90’s and early 2000’s. Smashing pumpkins, The Cure, Tool, At The Drive In, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Thrice, to name a few. But I struggle to find anything in the past 10-15 years that grabs me. I have an Apple Music account and I can’t find anything to listen to. Maybe I’m getting old (probably). Did music go downhill or am I just aging? ;Meh

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with rap. Once No Limit took over it was done.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NPR had an interesting show on the top Rap stars of today and broke it down by area where they were from and how different areas had different rhythmic devices and melodically very different.

As an aside for the longest time in the history of music words and instruments were separated. You would see an orchestra or someone playing a clavichord.

Then the news teller would come into town and sing the news of what was happening in the capitol or elsewhere.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont listen to music since I found out Elvis was just actually covering songs he didnt write or make up. Real history is messed up.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe (first guitar solo)
Willie Mae Thornton (wrote hounddog)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a huge rock fan. I played in punk bands in my late teens and early twenties. Music influenced me so much growing up. Not just music but my life. I am struggling to find any good rock these days. Did it all go pop and electronic and over-produced?

Iamjeff6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a huge rock fan. I played in punk bands in my late teens and early twenties. Music influenced me so much growing up. Not just music but my life. I am struggling to find any good rock these days. Did it all go pop and electronic and over-produced?

If you liked thrice and scary kids scaring kids have you checked out every time I die. They have been putting out killer music since they started. Granted it was 4 years ago but their album low teens is awesome.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you liked thrice and scary kids scaring kids have you checked out every time I die. They have been putting out killer music since they started. Granted it was 4 years ago but their album low teens is awesome.
I used to listen to them. Will check that out. Senses Fail is re-recording old records. I’ve always enjoyed them. Wish they’d do something new.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
jimi janice skynard doors stones ac dc metallica charlies d band ..etc...... could go on forever, it will never die

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jimi janice skynard doors stones ac dc metallica charlies d band ..etc...... could go on forever, it will never die

Half those guys are dead or basically dead.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what punk bands did you play? i will be 45 in 3 weeks and still into it! actually went to punk hardcore show last night....

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is, every time I pick up a classical guitar, I play Nothing Else Matters by Metallica first. It’s just habit

Iamjeff6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to listen to them. Will check that out. Senses Fail is re-recording old records. I’ve always enjoyed them. Wish they’d do something new.

I caught myself listening to Underoath’s hits the other day, brought back memories.

My music tastes have evolved a bunch since my hardcore days.

If you liked the cure, check out frightened rabbit, Robert Smith was a fab of them

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
doors dr hook crue buck cherry willie ,cash ,ozzy ,fell off 90 imo

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back