Did my peppermint shrimp leave babies behind?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
11,641
Reaction score
13,157
Location
New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
About two weeks ago, tiny red shrimps began to turn up. They look nothing like mysis shrimp—however, they bear more of a resemblance to a peppermint shrimp, red and a high profile head. They’re impossible to photograph. At first I thought mysis, but they don’t look much like them and are growing quite fast. There are about 10-20 visible shrimp. I have not had a peppermint shrimp for almost a month prior to these little guys showing up. It mysteriously died one day. Before it died, is it possible it had left eggs behind, which hatched a few weeks later?
Thanks!
 
Eggs would likely get swallowed up by filtration... Are they those red bug pests that eat corals (blanking on name)...

Also they could be amphipods.
They definitely are not amphipods. I hope they're not harmful. To describe them, they literally look like tiny peppermint shrimp, in color and body shape.
 
No, they are really really different from the adults. Hippolitidae have zoea larvae
I stand corrected. Thank you. I did not realize that. Learn new things daily.
 
Finally was able to snap some pictures of them:
Right above the crab shell in this one
7CBA33B0-C308-4CCA-B63C-C47958156E4D.jpeg

Right in the middle of this pic
BFF0F076-FE32-47F6-81F4-C5994D7FCD4D.jpeg
 
Can you suck one out with a coral feeder/pipette and get an up close pic?
 
Can you suck one out with a coral feeder/pipette and get an up close pic?
I can try, but they're really fast and small, and usually hide in the rocks. After some research, I'm guessing they're some kind of mysis.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new