Did you know aquarium companies can’t do this?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just learned that about a law called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that regulates and enforces what can and can’t be in warranties and I learned aquarium companies are not allowed to say you can only use their brand of stand or it voids the warranty.
According to ChatGPT:
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act also applies to warranties on fish tank stands, as these are considered consumer products. If a manufacturer or seller offers a warranty on a fish tank stand, they must comply with the requirements of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

This means that the terms and conditions of the warranty must be clearly and conspicuously disclosed to the consumer in language that is understandable. The manufacturer or seller cannot use deceptive or unfair practices in connection with the warranty, such as requiring the use of specific products or services to maintain warranty coverage.

For example, if a manufacturer offers a warranty on a fish tank stand and specifies that the stand must be assembled by a professional in order to maintain warranty coverage, that would be a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The consumer would have the right to assemble the stand themselves and still maintain warranty coverage.

If a manufacturer or seller of a fish tank stand fails to comply with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a consumer can bring a lawsuit against them to recover damages, attorney fees, and court costs. It is important for consumers to be aware of their rights under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and to carefully review the terms and conditions of any warranty before making a purchase.

So this means that Red Sea and Waterbox tanks can in fact be placed on homemade and other branded stands that aren’t their brand and they really should be selling them separately and it does not void the warranty like they state and you have the right to sue or challenge this. While most people won’t I thought it was interesting to read about as I didn’t know this. Also I have been loving ChatGPT for information. It’s a smart AI learning machine like Google on steroids and it doesn’t use the internet but rather takes feedback and other manual databases that are entered. Unfortunately, people have been using it to write academic papers. This could’ve saved me so much time when I was doing research on my fish lol.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m referring mainly to Waterbox.
D5675C8A-B329-42D3-9BA4-04E83E5F5A22.jpeg

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what ChatGPT is telling you, is your Sea Star is a cold water invertebrate that you are keeping in warm water...
That’s interesting because I can tell you that it’s found in warm water too. I never said it was perfect and it doesn’t claim to be haha. I will say they are found in many different locations so it could be true. And now that I’ve had the little dude for almost a year I call him a happy and successful star. It also says this. Keep in mind I was asking it different questions and that the same species of sea stars can in fact be found all over the world in varying temperatures. Well at least I know mine can and I knew this before I asked the question.
586FBD8B-5784-43B9-BF4E-A68FB73A43BD.png

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChatGPT can be as wildly wrong as easily as it is right.

As for Magnuson-Moss
It is a little more complicated than what chatGPT regurgitated.

Your warranty can be voided if they can show that your 3rd party accessory caused the damage. You may be required to prove that your 3rd party accessory is not at fault and/or meets the specification of their part.

They also can offer a general warranty and an extended warranty with the extended only being covered if you use their listed products. Magnuson-Moss does not prevent this.

There is a lot more… but you get the idea.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

As for Magnuson-Moss

Your warranty can be voided if they can show that your 3rd party accessory caused the damage. You may be required to prove that your 3rd party accessory is not at fault and/or meets the specification of their part.

They also can offer a general warranty and an extended warranty with the extended only being covered if you use their listed products. Magnuson-Moss does not prevent this.

True I was reading that. I just found it interesting to learn about I was Googling it first before I used the AI. I like the AI chat though lol. It’s good for quick info. It’s weird though because they don’t get their info from the internet so it’s not constantly updated and it is all manually entered. And because it’s AI it can answer the same question differently for different people or at different times.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

As for Magnuson-Moss

Now I’m more curious. Are you a lawyer? You sound like a lawyer who knows a lot haha. I was just interested in reading about the wording. I actually found out about it in a forum and that’s how I learned that there’s certain things they can’t say.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True I was reading that. I just found it interesting to learn about I was Googling it first before I used the AI. I like the AI chat though lol. It’s good for quick info. It’s weird though because they don’t get their info from the internet so it’s not constantly updated and it is all manually entered. And because it’s AI it can answer the same question differently for different people or at different times.
When you ‘google’ something you can decide what is right, wrong or in between. You are exposed to multiple sources.

How do you know the AI is correct? I would no us it as anything other than a toy.

It is not currently connected to the internet, but it was and it (or it’s next version) will have to be to learn more.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you ‘google’ something you can decide what is right, wrong or in between. You are exposed to multiple sources.

How do you know the AI is correct? I would no us it as anything other than a toy.

It is not currently connected to the internet, but it was and it (or its next version) will have to be to learn more.
You definitely have to take it with a grain of salt. I do think it’s cool and I have been double checking and am enjoying playing around with it. It becomes a major issue when people use it to write papers, professionals use it for info, and so on.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chatgpt or other ai’s can be helpful at times, but I always say if you are using one for legit research or facts, make sure to fact check what it tells you to cause a lot of the times it does get information wrong. I think it’s neat how it can tell you information or help in certain aspects but I still stick to the good ol google search for now haha.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back