Red Sea warranty/ Reef Leds 50

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

It seems that I have been got. I recently less than two months ago bought a one Reef-led 50. Anyway was having issues with it connecting. Did all the troubleshooting they suggested. The last resort was to turn it in. Ok did that. They just sent back a denial repair and pictures showing water damage. This is where it gets Fk up. It's not my light. How do I know I took it apart? I inspected the two control boards. It is an easy fix to replace those. But they also showed me a damaged wifi unit. Please advise who io can spread this to on social media and the one who has the most RED sea views. They violate the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and the Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Acts. To add insult to injury I recently purchased a Red Sea 850g2 getting it installed next week. They want the smoke by golly I am going to give it to them. I also guarantee you it's not Red Sea but staffing. I keep my box and I bet they can't match the serial number on the unit to my box. I feel Like Ike Clanton "nothing but a bunch of pimps"

There Reply:(SMH)
Hello Derrick,

We have received your ReefLED- upon initial inspection, evidence of water damage and physical damage to the ReefLED was found. Water damage and physical damage are not covered by warranty, and this ReefLED is not able to be repaired under our product warranty.

I have attached photos of the damage to the ReefLED's electronics caused by exposure to water. Among this damage is corrosion of the battery, wifi chip, the bottom board, top board, and the LED array. The DC cable of the ReefLED has suffered separate physical damage that appears unrelated to the water damage and that is pictured as well.

unnamed (7).png unnamed (6).png unnamed (5).png unnamed (4).png unnamed (3).png unnamed (2).png unnamed (1).png

OP
OP
Real McCoy

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes me glad I passed on another redsea tank and went with waterbox recently. Hopefully it's just a mixup and they get it straitened out.
Well after I sent an email with the law statute on it I was referred to a manager. When I asked the first time during their BS troubleshooting I was denied. Imagine that.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ask them to send you a picture of the serial number of the unit in a picture with the damage. If they can't do that then they have no proof.

Unfortunately spreading it on social media won't matter. RedSea already has a terrible reputation yet people keep buying from them. Only way to make a change is if people stop supporting them.

OP
OP
Real McCoy

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask them to send you a picture of the serial number of the unit in a picture with the damage. If they can't do that then they have no proof.

Unfortunately spreading it on social media won't matter. RedSea already has a terrible reputation yet people keep buying from them. Only way to make a change is if people stop supporting them.

I agree. I just got off the phone with the manager. We will replace it but your processor and how we warranty your products will be different. I said you can single me out due to a warranty complaint. That is another violation of a statute. he stated well if you have an issue with another light will have you open it up. I said as it "should be. I'll even record it. he got ticked but Arizona and Texas are a one-party consent state, I was the participant smh. Red Sea I tell yea. Hold them accountable guys.

OP
OP
Real McCoy

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I wanted to give you all an update. Be the squeaky well, hold them accountable, and video-record your returnable products.

Hello sir,

The water-damaged ReefLED unit RL50-3236448646 has been refurbished and has completed functionality testing. The unit now powers up, connects to Wifi, and runs its schedule as expected.

I have sent the order to our shipping department, and they'll send the refurbished ReefLED 50 to your address. Once the tracking information is available, I will provide it to you.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good for you! Still not sure how there isn't a class action lawsuit with the tank issues alone.

OP
OP
Real McCoy

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you! Still not sure how there isn't a class action lawsuit with the tank issues alone.
It's a numbers game and not just supplying anecdotal evidence. It will take a lawyer to take a deep dive into
how many complaints and issues they have had. Look at the automotive, even with substantial data they still avoid lawsuits. But can you imagine if they were ordered to fix or replace all those tanks they have sold and shipped out? Due to certain defectiveness on their end. I have noticed they are good at handling those one-offs with poor customer service. Their so-called tank warranty is flawed as well. I can see a class action coming real soon. It's sad because I really do like their plug-and-play systems.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a numbers game and not just supplying anecdotal evidence. It will take a lawyer to take a deep dive into
how many complaints and issues they have had. Look at the automotive, even with substantial data they still avoid lawsuits. But can you imagine if they were ordered to fix or replace all those tanks they have sold and shipped out? Due to certain defectiveness on their end. I have noticed they are good at handling those one-offs with poor customer service. Their so-called tank warranty is flawed as well. I can see a class action coming real soon. It's sad because I really do like their plug-and-play systems.
I think with loss of life (livestock and coral), it could be construed as gross negligence. It's a shame really.

road102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RL50 unit died today,

Worked fine for about a year and half but now the unit is dead, power source is Ok and the back LEDs are solid red. Factory reset does nothing..

Im contacting theri tech support, fingers corossed, hope I will get a professional response and not a dummy 'canned' response...

Will post my experience in this forum

Happy Reefing

OP
OP
Real McCoy

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RL50 unit died today,

Worked fine for about a year and half but now the unit is dead, power source is Ok and the back LEDs are solid red. Factory reset does nothing..

Im contacting theri tech support, fingers corossed, hope I will get a professional response and not a dummy 'canned' response...

Happy Reefing

Hello RL50,

Please see my thread before you call them out. I had some warranty issues and the backing forth game. I hope it helps.

road102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RL50 unit died today,

Happy Reefing
Update: I got the controller circuit board delivered to my home in Florida. I will say that I had no issues with the warranty and the tech team sent the broken part in about 3 days (plus 2-3 days with fedex shipping from Texas).

I didn’t get the entire thing, just the board for me to replace, this is fine since I asked them to deliver the board to avoid delays and extra troubleshooting time.

Part replacement was easy and they have videos explaining the process.

Happy reefing

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back