Planet Aquariums Stand gap in support. Is this an issue?

LandoCommando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000002415.jpg
1000002414.jpg

Hi, new member here with a question about a stand I recently purchased from Planet Aquariums.

I have a 150 gallon tank that I purchased a new stand for. While inspecting it noticed a 1/16" gap between the top of the stand and the inner support on the rear right corner. As you can see by the pictures it is large enough to fit a shim in the gap with no effort. The outer piece of wood is flush with the top, but the inner piece of wood of course has this gap.

How big of an issue is this? Should I warranty this thing? I haven't set up my tank yet so this has not been used. I know getting Planet to fulfill warranties is a pain, so I'm considering just plugging the gap with shims and some wood glue but of course will not do that if it's going to affect the warranty.

The rest of the stand seems perfectly fine.

Thank you in advance!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the top frame (the 2x4's) is fully supported except for this one spot? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. If the entire vertical support was not touching the top frame, that would probably be an issue, but what you're showing doesn't seem to be.

However, you're the one who has to be able to sleep at night. If you feel you want to have them replace the stand, then that's what you should do.

OP
OP
L

LandoCommando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this more closely, I'm not sure the stand is built the way I initially thought. Does that horizontal board have any support? Can you post a pic of the inside of the whole stand?
1000002416.jpg

Yes there are 4 vertical pillars along the back of the horizontal piece. They appear to be 2 pieces of 3/4" ply bonded together and screwed/glued into the top and bottom pieces of the stand.

OP
OP
L

LandoCommando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And does the gap go across the entire joint? Or is part of the vertical board touching the horizontal one?
It goes across the entire joint for the interior facing piece of plywood, but not the exterior piece. Looks like the 2 pieces of ply used for this support were not the same length.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to imagine that with 3 other supports, the one support with only 3/4" touching the frame will be a problem, but again, it's not my tank... I would feel comfortable if the entire gap was shimmed so that the corner is fully supported.

OP
OP
L

LandoCommando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to imagine that with 3 other supports, the one support with only 3/4" touching the frame will be a problem, but again, it's not my tank... I would feel comfortable if the entire gap was shimmed so that the corner is fully supported.
Honestly that's what I will probably end up doing. The headache involved with trying to get them to replace this (if they even consider it worth replacing) is not worth it if I can fill that space with some shims and glue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back