220 Gal Planet Aquarium seam issue

Nolalawnpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cleaning my glass today my wife had our dimmable recessed lights turned all the way up and I noticed something of concern. I attached some pictures of the bottom seam that shows some discoloration.
I searched around the tank and couldn't find any other seams that looked abnormal.
Should I be concerned about this? The stand is dead level and placed on a Planet Aquariums stand.
20240110_180554.jpg
20240110_180550.jpg
20240110_180537.jpg
20240110_180530.jpg
20240110_180213.jpg
20240110_180210.jpg

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Since it's on their stand you have a 5 year warranty. I might try to contact them through whoever you bought it from letting them know and take reference photos every so often of this seam and see if it changes over time. If changes and you get closer to that 5 year mark, request something to be done.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cleaning my glass today my wife had our dimmable recessed lights turned all the way up and I noticed something of concern. I attached some pictures of the bottom seam that shows some discoloration.
I searched around the tank and couldn't find any other seams that looked abnormal.
Should I be concerned about this? The stand is dead level and placed on a Planet Aquariums stand.
20240110_180554.jpg
20240110_180550.jpg
20240110_180537.jpg
20240110_180530.jpg
20240110_180213.jpg
20240110_180210.jpg
What you're referring to may not actually be the seam, but the "smear" - the extra silicone that is on all the inside corners/joints. The smear is not structural and likely isn't an issue.

How old is the tank (and how long has it been set up in its current spot)?

OP
OP
N

Nolalawnpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's on their stand you have a 5 year warranty. I might try to contact them through whoever you bought it from letting them know and take reference photos every so often of this seam and see if it changes over time. If changes and you get closer to that 5 year mark, request something to be done.
I messaged them. We'll see what they say. I have little confidence in any worthy response. I had to jump through hoops when I had issues with my first tank when it was new with defects.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I messaged them. We'll see what they say. I have little confidence in any worthy response. I had to jump through hoops when I had issues with my first tank when it was new with defects.
Following along because I really wanted a mega matrix, cut a bit shorter in height. I was such a hassle dealing with Planet for my LFS I ordered a Custom Aquariums tank instead. I really wanted to do business with Planet and my LFS but Planet wasn't interested in taking my money. Best wishes for a positive outcome!

OP
OP
N

Nolalawnpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you're referring to may not actually be the seam, but the "smear" - the extra silicone that is on all the inside corners/joints. The smear is not structural and likely isn't an issue.

How old is the tank (and how long has it been set up in its current spot)?
That's what I was thinking but always concerning to see something like that. I just need it to hold out for another year or two. We'll be in the market for a larger house (and tank of course!).
The tank is from mid 2019 and finally setup since mid 2021.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is under warranty, I'd want to contact the company and let them know. But my concern is the timeliness of their reply.

I feel urgency is paramount.

OP
OP
N

Nolalawnpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along because I really wanted a mega matrix, cut a bit shorter in height. I was such a hassle dealing with Planet for my LFS I ordered a Custom Aquariums tank instead. I really wanted to do business with Planet and my LFS but Planet wasn't interested in taking my money. Best wishes for a positive outcome!
While the tank is the nicest tank I've owned, I can't say I'd go with Planet again.
When I first received the tank I had many issues with bubbles in seams. I was told it was due to "cold temperatures" affecting the silicone during the manufacturing.
It was a complete nightmare to have that resolved and took almost a year. The first person I was dealing with had agreed to either replace the tank or completely redo all seams. I believe his name was Jerry. He had some personal issues and either took time off or left the company. I had to restart the process of the warranty with a new person... After P.A. agreeing again to redo my tank I also decided to purchase a stand from them instead of building my own for warranty purposes.
I received the repaired/replaced tank and stand after some time only to find out the stand had issues. After more emails/phone calls and plenty of time, P.A. agreed to fix/replace the stand.
Finally the tank could be setup. I will say they made right by everything at the time but I expected much better from the product quality and service.
For my next tank there's a 99% chance it'll be from Glasscages as they seem to have a great product and they appear to have real customer service.

LandoCommando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the tank is the nicest tank I've owned, I can't say I'd go with Planet again.
When I first received the tank I had many issues with bubbles in seams. I was told it was due to "cold temperatures" affecting the silicone during the manufacturing.
It was a complete nightmare to have that resolved and took almost a year. The first person I was dealing with had agreed to either replace the tank or completely redo all seams. I believe his name was Jerry. He had some personal issues and either took time off or left the company. I had to restart the process of the warranty with a new person... After P.A. agreeing again to redo my tank I also decided to purchase a stand from them instead of building my own for warranty purposes.
I received the repaired/replaced tank and stand after some time only to find out the stand had issues. After more emails/phone calls and plenty of time, P.A. agreed to fix/replace the stand.
Finally the tank could be setup. I will say they made right by everything at the time but I expected much better from the product quality and service.
For my next tank there's a 99% chance it'll be from Glasscages as they seem to have a great product and they appear to have real customer service.
Hi, may I ask what issues you had with the stand? I just got a stand from them for my 150 gallon and would like to know things to look for before I get all set up.

OP
OP
N

Nolalawnpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, may I ask what issues you had with the stand? I just got a stand from them for my 150 gallon and would like to know things to look for before I get all set up.
The top of the stand where the tank sat wasn't completely level. The replacement I received had no issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back