Die coral

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think something is going on besides lights. I have read, and i could be wrong, that corals can last a while in lower light. They wont look good, but low light for a short amount of time will not cause death.
That’s my thinking as well regardless it’s no good to keep them in lighting that isn’t sufficient. But hopefully he can get it figured out.

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191122_082504.jpg
Forgot to ask where is your water coming from?

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, remember this tank is only four months new. I would wait much longer with being new at this.

What coral are you putting into this tank?
Are you acclimating them? Or just tossing them in?

I can see a film at the top of the tank that’s pretty thick, bigger water changes will help this. Then again, that’s one thing I suck at doing...

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If op has no testing equipment there's the potential for a lot to be off. I'd question if the water was at an appropriate sg for coral and first purchase should be a refractometer. Fish will adapt to lower salinity but coral won't. The algae on the surface indicates the water surface movement is probably pretty low and there's some excess nutrients. An algae film like that will also potentially increase temp, I'd also recommend a thermometer strip and maybe aim that ph up a bit to help reduce algae building on the surface. Once your certain the salinity and temp. are acceptable then I'd look at your nitrates and posphates, track the levels for a few weeks and if all of these reading stay in a normal acceptable aquarium range and not wildly fluctuating, then try adding one or two soft coral frags. As far as lights go I can't really see the setup, is there a hood on there? Without breaking the bank and completely moding what's there you may be able to add some LEDs?

OP
OP
M

Mdoerschler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the advice give has been pretty good man. Lighting is not gonna be enough try to find some used equipment. To add coral u need to be able to test your alk calc and mag. Also wonder what filter your using? How are your corals dying? What’s wrong with them when u look at them three days is extremely fast for softies.
They close up and shed then die.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back