Diefs 120 Peninsula

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well learned an expensive lesson, the smaller Sicce Synca pump that come with only the barbed fitting with o-ring cannot be used with NPT fittings. I put some pipe dope on the fitting and screwed them in and the next day its almost like the dope broke down the plastic and the threads where getting eaten up. $170 paper weight :(

20201209_110836.jpg
20201208_071749.jpg
That's awful! I just went round and round with the plumbing on a Sicce to replace the return pump in my 90. After Lowe's, and Home Depot, and several calls with BRS (along with them sending me a few barbs), it was discovered that the barb Sicce says is 1" is really more like 3/4". I finally gave up and returned it.

OP
OP
DiefsReef

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awful! I just went round and round with the plumbing on a Sicce to replace the return pump in my 90. After Lowe's, and Home Depot, and several calls with BRS (along with them sending me a few barbs), it was discovered that the barb Sicce says is 1" is really more like 3/4". I finally gave up and returned it.
I ended up with the Syncra ADV 9.0 on the RO side of the mixing station and it is working good so far. I still need to plumb overhead to the sumps but think the volume will be fine. Since the Syncra ADV was what I had planned on for my ReaSea 170, I bought a Syncra SDC 9.0 to replace it. Plumbing up the ADV was a breeze as it has the fittings to go to 1 in npt or slip pvc.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with the Syncra ADV 9.0 on the RO side of the mixing station and it is working good so far. I still need to plumb overhead to the sumps but think the volume will be fine. Since the Syncra ADV was what I had planned on for my ReaSea 170, I bought a Syncra SDC 9.0 to replace it. Plumbing up the ADV was a breeze as it has the fittings to go to 1 in npt or slip pvc.

I think I would have been fine the Syncra 6.0 if I used PVC. I'm just trying to avoid that because everything is set up perfectly to use 1 inch ID Vinyl tubing, which I've used with my current pump for the last 7 years. I've been gradually replacing my equipment because I felt I was on borrowed time, especially with the heater and return pump. My pump is in the middle chamber of a custom sump and I can attach to a 1" barb fitting just running the tubing at a slight diagonal up. If I used PVC, I'd have to have at least one elbow, which I'm trying to avoid. I was hopeful that the slip barb would work, but the base was too narrow. Ugh. I never dreamed it would be so difficult!

OP
OP
DiefsReef

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, nice peninsula you got there! Very nice job on the stands too! Just wanted to mention there is a gray cap inside the outlet of that pan world pump that has to be removed before you use it. I thought mine was broken but it turns out that little cap doesn’t let water flow through it :)
@TriggerFinger I was running through my build posts and saw this again. So funny, when I setup my mixing station a few weeks ago I had a leak at the pump that I fought for 3 days. In the end, I had to re-do that union and i put that plug back in. After I got it all hooked back up I ran it and was stumped at why I couldn't move water now!! I haD put the new union on over that plug and forgot to pull it when it was all glued up. Took me a min to figure it out. Sometimes I just have to laugh at myself! :p

OP
OP
DiefsReef

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the purpose of those plugs is...other than freaking out the new owner by making us think our awesome pumps are Actually I repurpased the plug to stuff in the end of my 1" hose I use to fill jugs and buckets. works great!

OP
OP
DiefsReef

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm talking with my wife about needing a sink for all the testing and stuff and trying to figure out where to put one. she says "well you should have put the mixing station over here (point) and the sink would fit over here (point) just fine...

Now I have to figure out how to move 2 tanks full of water ;Blackeye

20201231_113112.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm talking with my wife about needing a sink for all the testing and stuff and trying to figure out where to put one. she says "well you should have put the mixing station over here (point) and the sink would fit over here (point) just fine...

Now I have to figure out how to move 2 tanks full of water ;Blackeye

20201231_113112.jpg
Lucky you!!! I want a sink in my fish room sooo badly but a drain would be too much effort. Can you wait until one is empty, move the empty one, pump the full to the empty and then move the 2nd empty? Unless you have a pallet jack

OP
OP
DiefsReef

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky you!!! I want a sink in my fish room sooo badly but a drain would be too much effort. Can you wait until one is empty, move the empty one, pump the full to the empty and then move the 2nd empty? Unless you have a pallet jack
My wife has a pallet jack at her work and was thinking or stealing/borrowing that for a night:)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 110 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back