difference between acan, micros, and favia...

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dont have either of these corals yet but to me they look very similar as in regard to what ive seen online. I was wondering what the difference is between and acans, micros, and favia?

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans usually have bigger polyps than micros and favia are different all together. Once you get all 3 you will be able to tell the difference. Trust me.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how to best describe the difference, but Acan lords (and Micro amak) have much more severe septa than Favia's. They all have individual polyps (Favites share a wall, for example), but the Acans and Micros are more raised around the edges (taller septa) with more serration. Once you've seen a few, it's easy to tell the difference, but difficult to explain (without having seen them). Acan's and micros are an age old mystery as far as I'm concerned. The biggest difference there is polyp size. It gets tricky since there are smaller polyped Acans and larger polyps micros, but after seeing a number of micros, I'm starting to be able to tell the difference. Growth form is very similar, though. Size is obviously not the only difference, or I'd think Micro amak's would be Acan somethings.

OP
OP
ahayes13

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info...

so...... like zoanthids and other corals, i was wondering do acans have "names" ?

OP
OP
ahayes13

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and the grades are determined how and by who? just like ultra for some amazing colorations and is that just decided by the seller?

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AAA or ULTRA: is 3 or more colors
A: Is 2 colors
B: Is 2 or one basic colors

A lot of people overestimates AAA and always think it's rainbow but really any acan that has 3 colors. Trust me I once ordered 125 colonies of all ULTRAS and only 25% were the really nice rainbows that you see a lot of today. The class can be determined by anyone as long as they follow the chart. One may argue a ULTRA and one may argue a grade b.

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my best analogy since I sell all 3.

Acans-Larger fleshy polyps. Can be size of quarter easily
Micros- Smaller fleshy polyps. Typically the size of a pencil eraser or there abouts.
Favia- Polyps not as fleshy and are not as extended as acans. Polyps are just raised above skeleton. This is my laymen terms analogy....Hope it makes sense.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back