Difference between ati and "grow" lights?

Gator1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question - following along. Build quality, I would guess, including moisture proof end caps, etc. I don't imagine there is really any difference in the quality of light produced, but I could be wrong....

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better reflectors and active cooling. The two of those make a huge impact on the amount of light getting into the tank and lifespan of the bulbs.

T5s do not like heat, the color changes when they overheat and they degrade quickly. If you are on a budget I'd go with the sunblaze fixtures. They aren't designed to be close to salt water so they may rust up. The ATI (I believe) are stainless steel. I clean mine with stainless steel cleaner and it's gotten splashed a few times without any indication of rust.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ballasts, reflectors and end caps, mainly. and yes, all three can make a huge different in light quality and efficiency. some people can get away with grow lights just fine, however.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright reefers. What's the real difference between the lights ATI puts out. And these lights meant for marijuana or "crops" lol

So what's the differEnce!? Who thinks I should just use the Grow lights!?

http://growershouse.com/sun-blaze-t...40v?keyword=&gclid=CLqe6Yu0gtQCFYhhfgodm_4BCg

Our reflectors are 95% reflective, Sun Blaze is 85% (at least it was when I worked for Sunlight Supply years ago)
Our fixtures are active cooled. IIRC you lose about ~1% output per 2 degrees above or below 95-98 degrees F
Our fixtures are aluminum, the Sun Blaze and other grow fixtures are steel, which means it will rust (from months to years depending on the salt exposure to the powder coat)
Our fixtures have acrylic splash shields to prevent damage to the reflectors.
Our fixtures have 2 cords (regular Sunpower) so you can control 2 channels with timers

(not to mention the link you posted is a 240 version, however the ballast can use 110, you'd have to put a new plug on the cord)

OP
OP
Socalreefer4816

Socalreefer4816

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our reflectors are 95% reflective, Sun Blaze is 85% (at least it was when I worked for Sunlight Supply years ago)
Our fixtures are active cooled. IIRC you lose about ~1% output per 2 degrees above or below 95-98 degrees F
Our fixtures are aluminum, the Sun Blaze and other grow fixtures are steel, which means it will rust (from months to years depending on the salt exposure to the powder coat)
Our fixtures have acrylic splash shields to prevent damage to the reflectors.
Our fixtures have 2 cords (regular Sunpower) so you can control 2 channels with timers

(not to mention the link you posted is a 240 version, however the ballast can use 110, you'd have to put a new plug on the cord)
Thanks for the responce! I decided on buying the 60" 8 bulb fixture for my frag tank. It's a no brainer. You guys have an amazing product

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 77.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.7%
Back