Difference between Green and Blue Mandarin Goby

Bobby Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the difference between a green and blue mandarin goby?

For instance, liveaquaria sells both and the look exactly the same in color and pattern. Green is about $20 but their blue, being captive bred, is $90.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the difference between a green and blue mandarin goby?

For instance, liveaquaria sells both and the look exactly the same in color and pattern. Green is about $20 but their blue, being captive bred, is $90.

I think blue and green mandarins are the same species with different names. Different fish show more blue or green.

I have one of the captive bred biota mandarins and I would highly recommend them over the wild caught counterparts. They do arrive tiny (3/4" - 1" long max), but they are already used to eating prepared foods. Mine loves decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and frozen baby brine.

OP
OP
B

Bobby Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think blue and green mandarins are the same species with different names. Different fish show more blue or green.

I have one of the captive bred biota mandarins and I would highly recommend them over the wild caught counterparts. They do arrive tiny (3/4" - 1" long max), but they are already used to eating prepared foods. Mine loves decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and frozen baby brine.

Thanks for the info. I searched all over the internet and couldnt find much detail but came to the idea that they were the same and just named differently based on one being captive bred and the other wild caught.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I searched all over the internet and couldnt find much detail but came to the idea that they were the same and just named differently based on one being captive bred and the other wild caught.

Don't think so. Biota lists them on their website as "mandarin fish" while AlgaeBarn sells the Biota mandarin as a "green mandarin" and LiveAquaria sells the same Biota mandarin as a "blue mandarin". As far as I can tell, they are the same fish.

Also, FWIW, the "green mandarin" I got from AlgaeBarn was bluer and the "blue mandarin" I received from LiveAquaria looked more green.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back