Difference in AP700 models?

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if there is any difference in light intensity, spread, color, etc. between an older model ap700 and a newer one that BRS, for example, is selling? I have an older model and will need to purchase a second one for my tank upgrade (going from a 4' 120g to a 6' 180g) and I want to make sure there will not be "issues" with running two different models of AP700. I would think that as LEDs have advanced and technology has improved that the LEDs in the ap700 have been upgraded as well. Thanks in advance

*EDIT* To make it clear, I am not talking about the new light that Kessil is coming out with soon. I'm talking about, for example, one that was bought 3 years ago and one that was bought last month (or bought today)

Last edited:

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of Hardware, an Ap700 that you bought three years ago should be exactly the same as a new AP700- nothing has changed in that regard. You may need to update your firmware on your old light to make sure it matches the newest available firmware on the new AP700 (which is easy).

As for intensity, spread, and color, all of our AP700's are calibrated to ensure that they all emit the same spectrum. Granted the way LED chips age can cause some color variation over time but should not affect the performance of the light in terms of coral growth.

OP
OP
jlts21

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of Hardware, an Ap700 that you bought three years ago should be exactly the same as a new AP700- nothing has changed in that regard. You may need to update your firmware on your old light to make sure it matches the newest available firmware on the new AP700 (which is easy).

As for intensity, spread, and color, all of our AP700's are calibrated to ensure that they all emit the same spectrum. Granted the way LED chips age can cause some color variation over time but should not affect the performance of the light in terms of coral growth.
Okay thanks. That’s what I thought but I wanted to be sure. I checked with BRS and they advised to check with you as there could be differences between and older model and new one. But o figured that if you guys did update the lights, change the # of LEDs, spread, etc that the model would’ve changed, similar to the A360 (A360, A360we and A360x)

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks. That’s what I thought but I wanted to be sure. I checked with BRS and they advised to check with you as there could be differences between and older model and new one. But o figured that if you guys did update the lights, change the # of LEDs, spread, etc that the model would’ve changed, similar to the A360 (A360, A360we and A360x)
Exactly, if we make changes we upgrade the model name for this exact reason!

Flyin High

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed the top plate of the AP700 is sometimes flat black and sometimes shiny black. Is one a newer design than the other? Thanks

OP
OP
jlts21

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed the top plate of the AP700 is sometimes flat black and sometimes shiny black. Is one a newer design than the other? Thanks
That I do not know, but I would assume just a sleeker looking design. I'm sure @Kessil will be able to answer that. But like they said hardware wise there is no difference in a 3 year old AP700 and one you would buy brand new right now

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flat black is on the newer models and the shiny blacktop is on the older models. This is just a change in the material used to construct the top panel of the light. Other then aesthetic there is no differance between the two!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back