Difference in rms mounts

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference with the x bracket in each of these?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bracket themselves are the same, but the adapter kit would allows you to use the Radion gen 5 fixture with the previous versions on the rms mount. So, essentially, if you're upgrading from an older version of the Radion, and still want to use your existing rms mount -You'd buy that adapter kit.

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
The brackets are the same. They both have notches underneath on both sides. The latter comes with an extra piece that mounts on the end of one of the aluminum extension arm pieces. It comes with the kit when you order the arm kit. The end piece gives it a more finished look when mounting the light. The option is incase your bracket alone needs to be replaced. Not sure why they're charging less for the latter, lol. Buy the latter and save some money .

OP
OP
A

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brackets are the same. They both have notches underneath on both sides. The latter comes with an extra piece that mounts on the end of one of the aluminum extension arm pieces. It comes with the kit when you order the arm kit. The end piece gives it a more finished look when mounting the light. The option is incase your bracket alone needs to be replaced. Not sure why they're charging less for the latter, lol. Buy the latter and save some money .
That’s what I was planning on doing. eventually I will be switching over to the a longer tank and will purchase the rms track

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Did this work out for you?
I called Ecotec regarding this. Both brackets will fit the Gen4 & Gen5(rep said all xr15 models). The adapter kit allows the Gen5 light to be attached to the previous tank mount system. The G4's for instance slide into the bottom of the arm using a different style bracket as seen in the picture below. If you're looking to save a few bucks for a bracket for your G5 to mount to the G5 arm kit or rail then both work the same. As another member mentioned, it's only for using the newer XR15G5 model on the older tank arm. If you're still unsure, give Ecotech a call. They have great customer service/support IMO.

Attachments

• extension-mount15.jpg
    extension-mount15.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 32

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called Ecotec regarding this. Both brackets will fit the Gen4 & Gen5(rep said all xr15 models). The adapter kit allows the Gen5 light to be attached to the previous tank mount system. The G4's for instance slide into the bottom of the arm using a different style bracket as seen in the picture below. If you're looking to save a few bucks for a bracket for your G5 to mount to the G5 arm kit or rail then both work the same. As another member mentioned, it's only for using the newer XR15G5 model on the older tank arm. If you're still unsure, give Ecotech a call. They have great customer service/support IMO.
I contacted ecotech and I think the rep either doesn't know or is lying.

I currently have a single arm mount with a xr15 g5. I want to add another light so I want to buy a multi light rail to hang both lights.

I wanted to know if the light bracket I am currently using with the single arm will work on the multi light rail. If so why wouldn't i be able to buy the cheaper bracket for my 2nd light?

To me the rails used in both systems look identical, but the rep said they were different. So I am trying to see if anyone can verify this.

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0

I currently have a single arm mount with a xr15 g5. I want to add another light so I want to buy a multi light rail to hang both lights.

I wanted to know if the light bracket I am currently using with the single arm will work on the multi light rail. If so why wouldn't i be able to buy the cheaper bracket for my 2nd light?

To me the rails used in both systems look identical, but the rep said they were different. So I am trying to see if anyone can verify this.
Yes, I know this for a fact. I have two XR15 G5's with matching (newer) tank mounts. I switched to the rail using the brackets from the kits and they work with the rail! I finally ditched the arms and hung the rail still using the same brackets. The two aluminum arm extensions in the tank mount kit is exactly the same as the aluminum rails.

Last edited:

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I know this for a fact. I have two XR15 G5's with matching (newer) tank mounts. I switched to the rail using the brackets from the kits and they work with the rail! I finally ditched the arms and hung the rail still using the same brackets. The two aluminum arm extensions in the tank mount kit is exactly the same as the aluminum rails.
Thanks, that's what I thought but wanted verification. I still wonder what's in the other kit besides screws that justifies the 10$ price increase.

OP
OP
A

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can buy the cheaper one and it will work. The slider one only comes with the slider and nothing else. The adapter kit come with the slider some screws end the end cap for the arm. And it’s cheaper. I can’t wrap my head around the pricing but what ever. I took some pics they’re pretty dark.

8A1946F3-EAE6-4F12-8370-5FCD8F7A66A9.jpeg 26D568F4-3A0B-4A12-A8A9-25B7F377A546.jpeg

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 139 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 82 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.4%
Back