Differences between Genicanthus caudovittatus and melanospilos?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2021
Messages
20,631
Reaction score
34,644
Location
United Kingdom (England)
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Swallowtail angelfish, it was sold as G. melanospilos but after looking at some photos, it also looks similar to G. caudovittatus. Any ideas which it is? This is him “reverted”, bought him as an adult male though.
image.jpg

and the male bad photo I got:
E0AB4FF7-F511-4EF8-85AE-B1F40DF1CC1C.jpeg

I wondered if it was a possibly hybrid but I’m unsure if the two species are even found in a similar range.
 
Hybrids do happen.
I would say G. caudovittatus, don't have much experience to say for sure.
 
I can’t figure it out either - Maybe have to grab a female Genicanthus to see if his colours come back, I’d love for the streamers to grow though.
 
The eye looks like it has spots round it in the second image but in the first image it’s like he has a yellow mask… I’m pretty sure when I got him I saw his face look more like the Caudovitattus’ face.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new