Different anthias species together?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have three lyretail anthias, with one being a male. I am wanting to add a different species of anthias but want to know if they need to be all females added since I already have a male lyretail? Or since it's a different type it doesn't matter?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree from what I understand so long as you have only one male you should be OK, but I'm not an anthias expert I suspect there are one or two species that are exceptions.

One of these two ought to know: @eatbreakfast @evolved

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a difference what species/shape they are, for one. My blotched anthias male went after the fathead, but the male Red saddled did not.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to depend on what the other species is for sure. There's a lot of species that Lyretails wouldn't even give a second look to, but there are plenty of species which could be a problem if a male was added.

psirex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Lyretail and squarebacks in the same tank with no issues - only 1 male (squareback)......

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they are not in the same complex of species, each species can have a male present.

Since lyretails are a feistier species, other feisty species would be better suited as tankmates. Bartletts, cooperi, stocky, fasciatus, bimaculatus, and pink square will all work.

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they are not in the same complex of species, each species can have a male present.

Since lyretails are a feistier species, other feisty species would be better suited as tankmates. Bartletts, cooperi, stocky, fasciatus, bimaculatus, and pink square will all work.
Bringing this from the dead. LoL.

I have a trio of carberryi.Do you think adding a trio of BiMacs is doable?

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Ignitus, Lyretailed, Bimacs, Evansii, Resplendant and Sunset together in my tank (I recently added 8 Bimacs to the existing 6). I have 1 male Lyretail, 1 male Evansii, 5 male Ignitus, I male Resplendent, not sure about the Sunset. They are all happily cohabiting in my tank with very few issues.

There is a video from me on here somewhere. Mixing anthias as long as you do research, is not an issue, as long as you have space and the filtration capacity to cope with the heavy feeding.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%

Back