Different Macros, Different Requirements?

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dealing with a weird situation where my chaeto, sea lettuce, and pom pom don’t appear to be doing well, but my red ogo is doing great. I have no clue why the green macros (and the Pom Pom) are suffering while the red ogo is thriving, and I’d like to make sure this isn’t indicative of a problem. Moreover, I’d like to reintroduce green macros, but want to make sure I know what went wrong so they don’t die off again.

I don’t mean to rant, but the following text is my attempt at providing as much info as possible to help with diagnosing my problem.

I am a college student and I knew that I was going to be away from my tank over winter break, so in the weeks prior, I thought it prudent to set up a refugium.

my tank is a JBJ cubey 20G, and since it’s got both the heavy plastic light+lid and an especially thick rim, traditional hang on equipment doesn’t work. Since I couldn’t hang a refugium out the side, and I also was afraid that if I got the normal in tank refugium box like this one,

because my tank is lit by a small LED panel located in the middle of the lid, I would either have to locate the box off to the side where it wouldn’t receive light, or if I lowered the box so the light spread to it, the macros could float out and cause problems for my pump and the powerhead I had in there. As a result, I did something a bit atypical, I used an acclimation box.

It provided a lid so that the macros couldn’t float out. I also made sure to tilt the box so that two panes were receiving light, and also, so that the slight gap between the lid and side pane allowed air bubbles formed by the photosynthesis to climb up the surface and eventually escape instead of being trapped under a level surface. I also had the powerhead pointing in the general direction, so that the macros were receiving a good bit of flow.
216DEE03-DF13-4CF5-BB68-9445F3016738.jpeg
I used the Algae barn macro starter kit, so I had 2oz each of chaeto, sea lettuce, Pom Pom, and red ogo.

this is what my tank looked like while I was away. The white and red lights were on for 12 hours a day, the blue channel was on for 10 hours and 45 minutes every day, and the powerhead was on for one hour burst, with one hour rest periods during the day, and the rest periods stretched to multiple hours during the night. I’ll provide the schedules if that matters.

when I got back, the tank was still healthy (yay!) my main inhabitant, a box crab I found in the wild myself, had not only survived but molted and doubled in size. My water parameters, when tested, were actually better than they had been prior to my departure- which makes sense considering this tank was only about a month and a half old at time time. My nitrite finally zero’s and while my nitrate is higher than recommended values, it’s clearly decreasing.

what caught me off guard, however, was the state of my algae, both macro and undesired. I had a fair bit of brown slime/sludge on the acclimation box- during my water change the day after I returned, I had to scrub the heck out of it with a toothbrush. Moreover- I still had a decent bit of nuissance algae growth. I’m not exactly sure what kind- it has the green coloration and growth locations of hair algae, but does not actually have the long tufts associated with it. Which means my refugium did not fully beat out the other algaes for the excess phosphate and nitrate.

However, the most notable thing, as mentioned initially, was the decline of my green macros. My chaeto seems to have simply vanished, I’m not seeing Pom pom left (some dead bleached chunks), and my green sea lettuce, while some small leaves survived, many were missing. After cleaning amidst the water change, in the current state, my fuge box is predominantly red ogo.

So… what went wrong? Was the box too high in the water column and I bleached the chaeto? I’ve since reaquascaped and I left room in the rear corner to have the fuge box against the sandbed. I also mixed the macros together into a ball, so maybe the chaeto and Pom Pom were too heavily shaded by the red ogo and therefore outcompeted? Or, does macro in close proximity attack each other the way coral does?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m dealing with a weird situation where my chaeto, sea lettuce, and pom pom don’t appear to be doing well, but my red ogo is doing great. I have no clue why the green macros (and the Pom Pom) are suffering while the red ogo is thriving, and I’d like to make sure this isn’t indicative of a problem. Moreover, I’d like to reintroduce green macros, but want to make sure I know what went wrong so they don’t die off again.

I don’t mean to rant, but the following text is my attempt at providing as much info as possible to help with diagnosing my problem.

I am a college student and I knew that I was going to be away from my tank over winter break, so in the weeks prior, I thought it prudent to set up a refugium.

my tank is a JBJ cubey 20G, and since it’s got both the heavy plastic light+lid and an especially thick rim, traditional hang on equipment doesn’t work. Since I couldn’t hang a refugium out the side, and I also was afraid that if I got the normal in tank refugium box like this one,

because my tank is lit by a small LED panel located in the middle of the lid, I would either have to locate the box off to the side where it wouldn’t receive light, or if I lowered the box so the light spread to it, the macros could float out and cause problems for my pump and the powerhead I had in there. As a result, I did something a bit atypical, I used an acclimation box.

It provided a lid so that the macros couldn’t float out. I also made sure to tilt the box so that two panes were receiving light, and also, so that the slight gap between the lid and side pane allowed air bubbles formed by the photosynthesis to climb up the surface and eventually escape instead of being trapped under a level surface. I also had the powerhead pointing in the general direction, so that the macros were receiving a good bit of flow.
216DEE03-DF13-4CF5-BB68-9445F3016738.jpeg
I used the Algae barn macro starter kit, so I had 2oz each of chaeto, sea lettuce, Pom Pom, and red ogo.

this is what my tank looked like while I was away. The white and red lights were on for 12 hours a day, the blue channel was on for 10 hours and 45 minutes every day, and the powerhead was on for one hour burst, with one hour rest periods during the day, and the rest periods stretched to multiple hours during the night. I’ll provide the schedules if that matters.

when I got back, the tank was still healthy (yay!) my main inhabitant, a box crab I found in the wild myself, had not only survived but molted and doubled in size. My water parameters, when tested, were actually better than they had been prior to my departure- which makes sense considering this tank was only about a month and a half old at time time. My nitrite finally zero’s and while my nitrate is higher than recommended values, it’s clearly decreasing.

what caught me off guard, however, was the state of my algae, both macro and undesired. I had a fair bit of brown slime/sludge on the acclimation box- during my water change the day after I returned, I had to scrub the heck out of it with a toothbrush. Moreover- I still had a decent bit of nuissance algae growth. I’m not exactly sure what kind- it has the green coloration and growth locations of hair algae, but does not actually have the long tufts associated with it. Which means my refugium did not fully beat out the other algaes for the excess phosphate and nitrate.

However, the most notable thing, as mentioned initially, was the decline of my green macros. My chaeto seems to have simply vanished, I’m not seeing Pom pom left (some dead bleached chunks), and my green sea lettuce, while some small leaves survived, many were missing. After cleaning amidst the water change, in the current state, my fuge box is predominantly red ogo.

So… what went wrong? Was the box too high in the water column and I bleached the chaeto? I’ve since reaquascaped and I left room in the rear corner to have the fuge box against the sandbed. I also mixed the macros together into a ball, so maybe the chaeto and Pom Pom were too heavily shaded by the red ogo and therefore outcompeted? Or, does macro in close proximity attack each other the way coral does?
To better help with the process of elimination on what all the possible issues are- can you tell us what your nitrates were reading prior to your departure and what they are reading today?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really allowed for the algae to perish due to not be able to give them basic nutrients, there isn’t any photosynthetic organisms that can’t survive with just light, you need some nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium in there and some trace if you want them to thrive, zero phosphates and zero nitrates is never a good thing in a hobby were the main goal is to keep photosynthetic organisms alive.
Look at it as you would look at any garden.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really allowed for the algae to perish due to not be able to give them basic nutrients, there isn’t any photosynthetic organisms that can’t survive with just light, you need some nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium in there and some trace if you want them to thrive, zero phosphates and zero nitrates is never a good thing in a hobby were the main goal is to keep photosynthetic organisms alive.
Look at it as you would look at any garden.

but why did that mistake not impact the ogo if it is responsible for the loss of the others?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but why did that mistake not impact the ogo if it is responsible for the loss of the others?
Some algae’s can convert ammonia faster than others it’s a survival of the strongest kind of thing, with a low live stock there won’t be many natural sources of nitrogen or phosphorus enough for all the organisms contained in the aquarium. You mentioned some brown patches starting to appear in your system that could be another algae starting that is fairly effective at competing for ammonia.

macrouk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think flow could have been the issue - macros are known to go sexual when overcrowded and there isn’t good flow suspect both could be true in that little box and if you weren’t running your wavemaker the whole time. I’ve found flow to be very important to the success of my tanks.

Last edited:

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens in when you try to keep multiple types of macro algae in a tank one will eventually become dominate and outcompete the rest. The way to be successful at keeping this from happening is making sure your dosing nutrients and trace elements to keep them elevated so there is plenty to go around. For example, in a reef tank we general keep nitrate somewhere between 5-20 ppm, but in a macro tank it is higher like 20-40 ppm. Also, keeping your macros trimmed helps keeping everything balanced and providing space to grow. Macros like coral are all trying to find ways to kill the other species and take over the tank. Hope this helps.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens in when you try to keep multiple types of macro algae in a tank one will eventually become dominate and outcompete the rest. The way to be successful at keeping this from happening is making sure your dosing nutrients and trace elements to keep them elevated so there is plenty to go around. For example, in a reef tank we general keep nitrate somewhere between 5-20 ppm, but in a macro tank it is higher like 20-40 ppm. Also, keeping your macros trimmed helps keeping everything balanced and providing space to grow. Macros like coral are all trying to find ways to kill the other species and take over the tank. Hope this helps.
I also keep multiple macroalgae, ( codium, ulva, caulerpa cupressoides, cheato, opuntia, halymenia, gracilaria, red grape caulerpa and lobophora) and the above post is absolutely true. It's tricky buisness trying to make sure that they all get what they need. Ulva, halymenia and some caulerpas will strip the nutrients out much quicker than others so I especially keep those pruned. I dose Coral vite weekly, along with iron. I also occasionally dose magnesium and Flourish. My nitrates run 25-35 ppm and my phosphates are .25-.5 ppm which does cause some of my coral to be tan, brownish. The good news is that they are all outcompeting GHA!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back