Different tangs - same tank...?

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

ive been looking for advice on keeping tangs.. I’ve had sailfin, yellow & regal together before with little issue other than my yellow being an occasional A hole..

My new set up, I’m looking at the possibility of a scopas, yellow & purple tang.. my question is.. If added together, early on.. is there going to be much difference between this & the schools of yellows I see more and more.
All I’ve heard to date is:
Yes it’ll be fine. No don’t be ridiculous. More than one tang!? Are you mad..

I’d like to hear from anyone with mixed tangs in the same reef tank.

thanks in advance guys.

syrinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A customer of mine has had a yellow, purple and regal in a 125 for the last 25 years or so-purple being the alpha. Over the years there have been a few other attempts to add another tang that didnt take. Never know with fish-having a tank that allows for free swimming, yet has visual blocks to keep fish from always seeing each other helps.

OP
OP
R

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A customer of mine has had a yellow, purple and regal in a 125 for the last 25 years or so-purple being the alpha. Over the years there have been a few other attempts to add another tang that didnt take. Never know with fish-having a tank that allows for free swimming, yet has visual blocks to keep fish from always seeing each other helps.
I’m hoping a regal first.. then the other 3 all together. Aim for similar in size so there is no alpha straight away and smashing one of them into a corner!
Thanks for the reply!

ajackson3036

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a mimic tang and a tang that's like a purple blue with lines on it. They get along great. We will be adding a scopas soon. One thing I have learned is that our smaller tank with other fish did not do good with two clown fish. But when we got the bigger 150 gal everyone plays together well. So I would say also depends on the size of your tank. Our first yellow tang that past was very aggressive.

Hi guys,

ive been looking for advice on keeping tangs.. I’ve had sailfin, yellow & regal together before with little issue other than my yellow being an occasional A hole..

My new set up, I’m looking at the possibility of a scopas, yellow & purple tang.. my question is.. If added together, early on.. is there going to be much difference between this & the schools of yellows I see more and more.
All I’ve heard to date is:
Yes it’ll be fine. No don’t be ridiculous. More than one tang!? Are you mad..

I’d like to hear from anyone with mixed tangs in the same reef tank.

thanks in advance guys.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the size of the tank makes a big difference in success.
I have scopas, yellow, purple, regal and powder blue In my 300g with the pb being the boss of the tank.

OP
OP
R

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the size of the tank makes a big difference in success.
I have scopas, yellow, purple, regal and powder blue In my 300g with the pb being the boss of the tank.
150g will be my set up. I agree they all need their own space!

did you QT all of yours out of interest?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back